Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have tons of guys in the biz with a full time job. One is an rn, bunch of cops and firefighters, bakery workers,oil riggers, etc. No big deal. Go ahead and let him know you are mowing yards after work so you dont leave him thinking the worse. Heck I know guys with 2 full time jobs and a part time job. My dad has honestly been averaging between 90 to 113 hours a week the past 7 months trying to get ahead and everything paid off...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You're failing to see his current employer will face a revenue loss when this guy up and leaves. Regardless if its a different industry. The closer this guy gets to leaving the less productive he will become. Its called short timers disease and everybody gets it regardless of how much they liked the job. Employers don't even want your 2 week notice anymore. You're out the door and it brings down the whole company. Some people are glad your leaving and some people wish it was them. Can't do much now, he's already headed down that slippery slope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very good point. As the OP didn't list a time frame, I would venture to guess his jump into full time lawn care would be part of his his 5 yr plan, hopefully the OP has this as a goal in his business plan.

Now, if it is a few years out and the OP can follow his plan, then he would be wise to not get a case of short timers disease, as its not a short time away. I am a fan of squashing rumors ASAP, to that end, may be in the OP's best interest to just tell his boss his plan, even if it is not exactly detailed. i.e. "yes boss man, I am doing some mowing and lawn care on the side. but I have no immediate plans to leave this job, nor let my work performance here slide even an inch."

Two things will probably happen, he will be under further scrutiny of his job performance, and the boss will pleased to know he is going to have a presumably good employee just up leave with out warning. Then again, maybe nothing would happen. maybe the boss will hire him to mow his own lawn or help him get the account at the current place of employment. there really is no telling what would happen, but I'm a fan of not keeping secrets, and so far it has done me good.

Myself, I am a part timer, doing what herler says I can't do. I am a heavy truck mechanic full time, with great benefits. Two nights a week I haul bulk US mail, the other nights and weekends I do landscaping. I have no plans to quit the mechanic job. But I would love to quit the driving job once I make enough from the lawn care to carry me through the winter. My performance at the driving job has not suffered. the only time I took off from that job was when my son was born and was in the ICU for a month. Even then, I o ly took off two days, then went back to work as there was nothing I could do for my son except pray.

If the lawn care turn s into a huge thing, then I may consider quiting all my jobs and doing it full time, but that would be a decision I would have to make based on the stability of my current job. So while I may be clinging to moms skirt while get this lawn care thing going, it is working very well for me, and many others on this board, no matter what herler says from high horse. ;-)

Last edited by TuffTurfLawnCare; 09-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You never know what life events may happen so it's wise to HOLD ON TO MAMA's skirt , LOL. Immediately after my divorce I was forced to move back in with my mother until I got my life back in order, she and I both knew it was just a temporary but necessary situation. Same with an employer, be honest with him, don't burn bridges you never know if you may need that job back once you do make the move to go on your own. If your a valued employee you would probably be given an open door back in if you need it. I agree you should do your job 100% while your there all the way up until the end, resist the temptation to get the dreaded short timers disease, it does happen, but it doesn't HAVE to happen, that's a decision YOU make.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat5150 View Post
Maybe he doesnt like you because you own a poulan chainsaw!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You're failing to see his current employer will face a revenue loss when this guy up and leaves. Regardless if its a different industry. The closer this guy gets to leaving the less productive he will become. Its called short timers disease and everybody gets it regardless of how much they liked the job. Employers don't even want your 2 week notice anymore. You're out the door and it brings down the whole company. Some people are glad your leaving and some people wish it was them. Can't do much now, he's already headed down that slippery slope.
Unfortunately that is always going to be a fact of life for an employer. Employees are going to leave and may even become your competitor. And it works both ways don't forget. An employee has no guarantee that you won't let them go either.

If the employee means that much to your business you would be smart to talk things over to see if there is anything that can be changed to make them stay. Often it's a matter of money and if you value the employee match his "offer".
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Unfortunately that is always going to be a fact of life for an employer. Employees are going to leave and may even become your competitor. And it works both ways don't forget. An employee has no guarantee that you won't let them go either.

If the employee means that much to your business you would be smart to talk things over to see if there is anything that can be changed to make them stay. Often it's a matter of money and if you value the employee match his "offer".
That's all very true, the bottom line is MONEY TALKS, it seems there are so many large companies now that would just assume run without said employee than give a raise to a great employee in order to keep him. there is so much arrogance in the corporate world now, it's just sad.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I imagine there are a lot of guys on here who have the same mindset as I do when it comes to working. That is, I'm always going to have "side work" regardless of how much money my employer pays me. I'm well compensated at my job and they get their moneys worth out of me, it's a fair deal for both parties. But, I enjoy doing my own thing outside of work and as long as what I do outside of work is legal, doesn't compete with my employer, is carried out on my own time and doesn't effect my performance at work, then it isn't any of my boss's business. It's up to you if you want to keep it a secret from the boss or tell him what you have going on, but I'd advise you don't go spilling out all your business ambitions and details of what you have going on to him. "I decided to do some lawncare and landscaping on the side, I enjoy it and can pick up a few extra bucks rather than watching TV." That's about all my boss would get out of me on the subject, and I've got a good working relationship with my boss.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are confusing one guy who does a little on the side with no plans of making full time. Then there's the OP who has made it clear once he reaches a certain point he is out of there. Two very different scenarios to the employer. I have two employess that are full time students. I know they will probably leave after graduation. Maybe not. I do what I can to accommodate their schedule, in return they work really hard for me. I would never begrudge someone the chance to better themselves. Most of what I can offer is a job, not a career.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You guys are confusing one guy who does a little on the side with no plans of making full time. Then there's the OP who has made it clear once he reaches a certain point he is out of there. Two very different scenarios to the employer. I have two employess that are full time students. I know they will probably leave after graduation. Maybe not. I do what I can to accommodate their schedule, in return they work really hard for me. I would never begrudge someone the chance to better themselves. Most of what I can offer is a job, not a career.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think that the OP falls under the category of someone doing work on the side, regardless of his ambitions to grow into full time. It would be foolish, imo, to tell his employer at this point that he's planning on growing his business to the point that he can quit his employer, that's a better conversation to have when he hands in his notice. Some employers feel that they "own" their employees in a way and take it personal that they may be trying to better themselves beyond what they can do at their current company, I'm glad to see you don't do this. My suggestion to the OP is to keep his job and his business as separate as he can until he is ready to take the next step.