Register free!

Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Rock Bubbler/Bird Bath

Hi,

I have a question regarding building a multi-rock bubbler water feature and bird bath. What's the best technique to carve out a rock bowl after drilling a 1" hole thru the middle?

I've seen natural rock carved basin, bowls, and bird baths/feeders at a local rock yard but the rock seemed fairly light and dense almost like lava rock...looked like limestone but weight was much less. I would like to see what rock others are using with good success. I can drill straight thru natural limestone without a problem but really haven't tried any type of carving to create a shallow basin and also creating the rock pedastol. I asked the counter person and the said the rock comes out of Mexico where they carve them out.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We install quite a lot of bird bath bubblers. But nobody ever carves the bowl out themselves. We buy rocks that are ALREADY that shape. That's the only way it's going to look natural. Something that's ground down with some sort of grinder or whatever is never going to look natural. You're going about it all wrong.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Now finding rocks naturally with right shape is a little hard to find.

What type of rocks have you been able to find or is it best to just browse the rock yard to see what's available whether its limestone/moss rock or basalt?

More like the ones I saw at the rock yard were geared more towards bird feeders and planters..they look better than the ordinary cement ones you find and a bit more natural. I need to get a pic next time to post up.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmansa View Post
Now finding rocks naturally with right shape is a little hard to find.

What type of rocks have you been able to find or is it best to just browse the rock yard to see what's available whether its limestone/moss rock or basalt?

More like the ones I saw at the rock yard were geared more towards bird feeders and planters..they look better than the ordinary cement ones you find and a bit more natural. I need to get a pic next time to post up.

Thanks,
Ray
Posted via Mobile Device