Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Which truck should I purchase for mowing only route?

Looking at the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, and Ford F 1-50. I am looking at buying a used one around 5 years old and will have a custom truck bed put on. This will be for mowing only route- will not be used for the bigger jobs. Considering gas mileage, maintenance cost, etc. Any suggestions? I currently have a Ford F-150 and am only getting 8 or 9 miles to the gallon, but it's hauling a very heavy trailer, so that would most likely improve some with the custom truck bed instead of trailer and without the heavier equipment. I initially was looking at the Tacoma for my second truck partly because of the better gas mileage, but it's a much bigger investment up front than the F-150, so now I'm wavering. For those that do small residential lawns and have a truck for that purpose, what is your truck of choice? Pros and cons? Looking at purchasing in the next month or two out of necessity, so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by AmazingLawns; 07-31-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Too many variables...need more input such as equipment size and weight, do you haul off much clippings, solo only.

I have mentally wrangled the custom lawn truck flat bed on a smaller truck and have come up with.... it is not worth the capital unless the original bed is 8 feet and a full size truck frame. JMO
Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say F150. The others, while they are decent pickups, are not really suited to the task at hand. I have an 05 F150 with a v6. The lowest I get for mileage is 14 MPG. I range from 14 to 17 MPG. I most often pull a smaller trailer and have two mowers. One being a 32" Toro and the other a 76" front mount John Deere mower.

My F150 has a lift gate which makes loading and unloading the Toro real easy and fairly swift. The other option would be to build some folding ramps and install in lieu of a tailgate.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I currently run with a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with aluminum flat bed. Awesome set-up if you were pulling using smaller mowers. I had a tailgate ramp too. now I use a trailer for the mower, as they are too heavy (850ib) for the truck to carry properly.
Again, the Tacoma is great if your using 33in, 22in mowers... anything more I'd say get a bigger truck. That's from someone who's looking for a new truck as we speak! lol
Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get you a F350 with 5.4 with manual I have 373 gears to
I pull a 22ft GN and haul 3 60 or 3 72 I get 11-13 mpg in the city Hwy 15-17
Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeklandscaping View Post
I currently run with a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with aluminum flat bed. Awesome set-up if you were pulling using smaller mowers. I had a tailgate ramp too. now I use a trailer for the mower, as they are too heavy (850ib) for the truck to carry properly.
Again, the Tacoma is great if your using 33in, 22in mowers... anything more I'd say get a bigger truck. That's from someone who's looking for a new truck as we speak! lol
What kind of aluminum flatbed is it? Got pics?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
What kind of aluminum flatbed is it? Got pics?
utebed: http://utebed.com/ got it this Febuary. Cost $1,800 + about $500 shipping.

Name:  P1080415.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  P1080421.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  P1080585.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  P1080698.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  114.3 KB

the 3rd picture is how I originally set it up as a mower unit- the mower was too heavy for the rear suspension. So now I have it set up like in the last picture. Can put 2yd mulch in that box. here are some more detailed pictures of how everything is set up: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=409929
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

super lawn trucks has a little van that might work for you.
link

we have the bigger version but for a small mowing crew around town this would be excellent... the billboard factor and the fact its harder to steal stuff out of a van might be good for you.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Whatever you get, make sure it's not a 4 speed. I have an 01 z71 with the 5.3l motor in it. The truck is bullet proof, but the 4 speed leaves a lot to be desired. It usually gets around 13 in town and might drop to 11 with 1500lbs behind it. E–assist brakes and steering help a lot too. Honestly, my top picks would go: Toyota/Chevy tied at first, gmc, Nissan, ford, Honda Accord, any Chrysler product. The Toyota edges out the Chevy because it has a lot heavier chassis and you can get a 5.7l beast. I have never had an issue with Chevy, but they took a huge bailout and are made in Mexico, while Toyota is in Kentucky. Nissans are nice, but cheap feeling and stiff. Fords always seem like there is an electric motor going out or suspension issues, or a front end rebuild on the way. I would seriously work out of an accord before buying a Chrysler product with a jeep wrangler being the exception. They just fall apart and have electrical issues, or at least from what I've seen. I would suggest getting the smallest truck with the biggest motor option. I the half ton class, that is the tundra with the 5.7l motor. Easily a 300k vehicle with 0 weak points. My dad has a 2010 with a 4.6 and it is capable of towing a lot, just not getting anywhere quickly.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the older version and I paid more than you did for yours...? WT?

Problem is my classic 1985 Toyota needs a ton of work. At shop rates more than what the truck is worth. Still one of the nicest nearly all original solid front axle 4x4's Toyota's around....except for the factory bed rust....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeklandscaping View Post
utebed: http://utebed.com/ got it this Febuary. Cost $1,800 + about $500 shipping.

Attachment 276555

Attachment 276556

Attachment 276557

Attachment 276558

the 3rd picture is how I originally set it up as a mower unit- the mower was too heavy for the rear suspension. So now I have it set up like in the last picture. Can put 2yd mulch in that box. here are some more detailed pictures of how everything is set up: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=409929