Register free!

Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mscotrid,

I’m looking for this quote from a turf guru with a PhD etc. Makes perfect sense to me. I never understood the “rob the grass of insulation and a buffer going into winter dormancy” ....mode of operation. The fear of snow mold is what everyone seems to believe here.

And the low mowing in early Spring [a dry spell in March works best here] when the grass is kept at 3.0”+ over the prior winter. In my testing last 2 springs [side by side areas] the low mow does in fact promote a faster green up vs. the power racking and pseudo dethatching drill that most are convinced is needed and pay good money for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
Leave the turf longer going into winter, helps protect shoots and crowns. First cut of the year drop your mower a notch or two to remove top growth. This will increase initial color by a few weeks. Raise your mower to predetermined height and leave it for the year. Turf fairs better at one height throughout the season.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a 100 ways to do this and 99 of them are probably correct. Turf is pretty simplistic and we should try not to over analyze it. I just know what has worked for me over the years, lot of it learned through trial and error.

Example, grass growing up through blue rug junipers many try to pull it. I spray over the top with round up, kills the grass and does not harm the juniper.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The 2nd paragraph of this pdf, is claiming that longer grass during the heat of summer requires more water because the roots are done growing for the Summer... and that can be true in certain cultural practices, especially irrigated lawns...

The one thing that one might consider is lawns w/out irrigation, will take water from the leaf and move it into the crown for the sake of survival...

I like to cut the turf low the first time in the Spring to allow the sun into base of the plant and warm the soil... then I go to the height I like for the particular lawn, (2.5 - 3.5 inches)... When the grass looses color, I know the next step is the leaves will curl and ultimately shrivel down,,, so I stop mowing...

Well, depending on how that stretch of weather goes it might grow a little bit after a shower and some cloudy days and will need to be groomed a little bit... THAT is the time that I mow higher than normal, so as to not remove any more leaf than necessary to make it look good...
If it wasn't for the need to look good I would not mow it at all, until it came back to life for real...