Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

My Review of the new Scag Turf Tiger I just bought.

I finally bought me a Scag Turf Tiger 61inch cut with a 35 Briggs Vanguard engine. I started my business with a Tiger cub 48 inch and sold it a few years ago. My dealer stopped selling Scags and really pushed Hustler mowers. All the lawn care people around here is mowing with a Hustler so I went along with it. I had the hustler about 2 years and to be honest just got tired of the lack of HP and clumping and having to scrape the clogged up deck. I knew I would not got wrong going back to Scag, I had to drive a hour away to get one but it was worth it. (I didn't even do a demo..what a risk!)

I have only had a few days of cutting but I am highly impressed by what I have observed so far. The ride is fairly smooth(not as smooth as the Hustler...I will give Hustler credit for that) and I really like the flat-free tires on the front. The 35 HP Vanguard is a beast! I have been cutting stuff that is wet and tall and full of weeds and no change in the engine. The velocity deck is AMAZING! It has a massive discharge opening. It really throws the grass out and spreads it out evenly. I hate to leave clippings on the lawn so I have always raised the deck up after cutting and made sure the clippings were spread out. With the Scag Velocity I really do not have to worry about that so far, and the deck stays clean underneath, no clogging yet! The cut is really smooth and crisp. I did notice the first day that the deck was not cutting level, measured and found that it was off. (I have heard people on lawnsite talking about the front needs to be lower or something...can someone explain that to me) A yard that I usually do takes me a hour and half to mow and trim, I was in and out in a hour with the Scag which makes me happy! The blades that come standard on the Scag do not seem to be true high lifts blades to me(or maybe it's just me) I have ordered the new G6 blades, I'm really looking forward to what they will do!

I think this is all I have to say for now but I will put more pictures up and post my progress with the machine.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How much fuel does it use? How long can you get out of a tank full?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

wow that looks like a great ztr 61 that will get r dun ...
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet mower!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

no arm rests??
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMan View Post
no arm rests??
They are folded up beside the seat in his pic.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Very nice! Congrats.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker Lawn View Post
I finally bought me a Scag Turf Tiger 61inch cut with a 35 Briggs Vanguard engine. I started my business with a Tiger cub 48 inch and sold it a few years ago. My dealer stopped selling Scags and really pushed Hustler mowers. All the lawn care people around here is mowing with a Hustler so I went along with it. I had the hustler about 2 years and to be honest just got tired of the lack of HP and clumping and having to scrape the clogged up deck. I knew I would not got wrong going back to Scag, I had to drive a hour away to get one but it was worth it. (I didn't even do a demo..what a risk!)

I have only had a few days of cutting but I am highly impressed by what I have observed so far. The ride is fairly smooth(not as smooth as the Hustler...I will give Hustler credit for that) and I really like the flat-free tires on the front. The 35 HP Vanguard is a beast! I have been cutting stuff that is wet and tall and full of weeds and no change in the engine. The velocity deck is AMAZING! It has a massive discharge opening. It really throws the grass out and spreads it out evenly. I hate to leave clippings on the lawn so I have always raised the deck up after cutting and made sure the clippings were spread out. With the Scag Velocity I really do not have to worry about that so far, and the deck stays clean underneath, no clogging yet! The cut is really smooth and crisp. I did notice the first day that the deck was not cutting level, measured and found that it was off. (I have heard people on lawnsite talking about the front needs to be lower or something...can someone explain that to me) A yard that I usually do takes me a hour and half to mow and trim, I was in and out in a hour with the Scag which makes me happy! The blades that come standard on the Scag do not seem to be true high lifts blades to me(or maybe it's just me) I have ordered the new G6 blades, I'm really looking forward to what they will do!

I think this is all I have to say for now but I will put more pictures up and post my progress with the machine.
First off, congrats on the new machine. They are really nice mowers.

As far as the pitch goes, most guys generally pitch the deck using the adjustable bolts at the four corners of your deck mounts to be down at the front of the blades a 1/4". Check the blades, not the deck itself. Mowers are designed to cut with the front of the deck, with the rear side of the blades clearing the surface of the grass by a 1/4 or so. Most manu's recommend anywhere from 1/8" all the way to 1/2" of forwards pitch. Your op's manual should say what Scag recommends for the TT. IHTH
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think i remember reading in another thread that the deck pitch on the velocity plus is to be completely level. again i don't have a manual so i don't know for sure. i just remember reading that.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i think i remember reading in another thread that the deck pitch on the velocity plus is to be completely level. again i don't have a manual so i don't know for sure. i just remember reading that.
Nope, 1/4" down in front. Here's a link to the TT manual. Scroll down the page 23 for deck pitch and side to side leveling.
http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/STT/20...plete03120.pdf