Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah. Sure. I'll get right on it

Had done a follow up call with a lady whom I provided a proposal for.

She was very nice, polite, etc.

She says to me "we're going to go with someone else who is significantly less".

So I politely start asking her if this other person is going to use geo-textile fabric. She says "no, he said he doesn't use it".

I then proceed to politely explain the importance of using geo-textile fabric, I explain again, what it does, and I explain what can happen if not used. I then politely explain that when a contractor says they don't use it - that's a red flag.

So she politely says to me "can you send me the name of the brand and model of geo-textile that you use?"

LOL - ummm.......NO. CAll your trusty expert contractor that you hired.

really, I bet they are having a relative or friend do the work.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like my neighbor a fantastically wealthy man who is so tight with his money he squeaks when he walks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Hate that sh!t. Like your going to give advice to someone else taking a job away from you. People are incredibly dumb like that sometimes.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've had multiple people ask for a material list, "you know, since you already figured it out, it will save me some time" so I doubled it and handed it over, enjoy!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find a lot of the paver installers in our area don't use geotextile in their paver installs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another local installer. In my area, that would be almost expected.

Some people are just cheapskates. I don't even usually try to argue with them at all. If they want to go with someone else, I forget their name and move on. NEXT!!!!

Some people just don't appreciate quality. And those people aren't my kind of customer. Fortunately, there are a LOT of people who DO appreciate it. So we stay plenty busy with those customers.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

We have never ever used fabric for any of our installs...I've never understood the reason why people use it either.
Maybe it's the difference in geographical area, I don't know. We have never used it in the 8 years that I've worked for this company. Even on driveways or commercial applications. Architects and Engineers have never specified the material either. We get a lot of jobs where we have to use a specified material listed from an engineer or landscape architect over what we sometimes normally would use.
So what is the purpose of the fabric? To keep the mud from leaching into the stone? Keep the materials separated?
Normally we prep with about 6-12" of crusher run for our sub base depending on the application, pavers being used, and so on...then screed an inch of stone dust or concrete sand depending on what's specified.
We either roll or tamp with a reversible plate tamper in lifts, and pre-tamp the dust before laying.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why?

http://www.icpi.org/node/542

Here's an image that helps explain.

Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-21-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I've had multiple people ask for a material list, "you know, since you already figured it out, it will save me some time" so I doubled it and handed it over, enjoy!
Next time don't just do a straight doubling... some double, some triple, some multiply by fractions like 1.5 or 1.3 or 1.8.... keep em guessing. Then when they come back to you and say no wonder you were high, just say that you weren't going to hand over the actual one for free so you modified it a bit
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not to start a geo debate, but why don't they use it under blacktop driveways etc? It's laid on the same base material
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use ego textile on every single project. That being said I don't feel it is always a necessity. I will say the typical "we installed walkways 10 years ago and still no problem" bla bla bla... But I do think it can help, and is a basic insurance policy. If I'm installing some stairs or a outdoor kitchen that is going to have a 1.25" thick sandstone top, I use several layers underneath. The first might be 10' past the bar... Then several inches of modified, then maybe the next ego is 4' past the bar, etc. It might just help me sleep better at night.
Posted via Mobile Device