Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying a Honda HRX217HXA mower?

I think I made my mind up to buy the Honda #HRX217HXA as my next mower( and hopefully last for a longtime) Anybody have any reasons to suggest otherwise that I shouldnt get this mower? Lawnstore tried talking me into a Toro over the Honda saying I'm paying more for a name
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
I think I made my mind up to buy the Honda #HRX217HXA as my next mower( and hopefully last for a longtime) Anybody have any reasons to suggest otherwise that I shouldnt get this mower? Lawnstore tried talking me into a Toro over the Honda saying I'm paying more for a name
The Honda you are looking at is certainly one of the premier residential mowers available. Toro also makes every good mowers, namely, the Super Recycler and the Super Bagger (a red painted Lawnboy Platinum). Which Toro was the salesman directing you to?

The Toro Super Recycler is an excellent mulching mower, but the design losses efficiency if you bag primarily. The Super Bagger does an excellent job of bagging and an acceptable job of mulching. I think the Honda twin blade design does as good of a job at mulching or bagging as either of the Toros and the VersaMow feature allows to to easily switch from one mode to the next. The Honda also has a blade break feature which is only available on the Super Bagger if that matters to you. The only down side I can see, functionally, to the Honda is if you run in discharge primarily; the Honda has a rear discharge that will do an excellent job of coating your shoes and legs with grass clippings.

For me I like the Honda mower a lot, although I am not a big fan of the composite deck despite the lifetime warranty. If you are comfortable with the use of chopped-glass composites as mower deck materials, and you do not use discharge as your primary mode of mowing, the Honda should be an excellent mower for you.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The HXA model has a blade clutch, instead of a brake. MUCH better feature, because you can release the handle, and the blade stops but the engine keeps going.

I'm a homeowner with that mower, and LOVE it. I've read much here about it's belt issues when bumped around in a trailer, but mine hasn't suffered that sort of abuse, so I cannot speak to that.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
The HXA model has a blade clutch, instead of a brake. MUCH better feature, because you can release the handle, and the blade stops but the engine keeps going.

I'm a homeowner with that mower, and LOVE it. I've read much here about it's belt issues when bumped around in a trailer, but mine hasn't suffered that sort of abuse, so I cannot speak to that.
Honda refers to the 'blade clutch' as a blade brake system. Actually the trademarked name is RotoStop Blade Brake system. Not be argumentative but just to clarify that the Toro Super Bagger has a similar blade brake/clutch system if that is of interest to the OP. I did not want my use of the term blade brake to be confused with a 'zone start' system.
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct. It is unfortunate that the marketing people from all these companies can't come up with naming conventions that don't conflict like this. It gets very confusing. What I meant (but didn't write) was really that it had a clutch AND a brake.

The Honda is a great mulcher, but I will say that the VersaMow handle gets clogged with grass, and it can be a pain to switch up and back from bag to mulch. It's nice that you don't have to install and remove a plug to do that, and there's no parts to lose, but sometimes you've got to get in there with a scraper to free up that sliding part. Still, I haven't bagged with mine in years. Even when I let my weed garden (my other name for my lawn) grow WAY too tall, the mulch has always been acceptably fine.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what you REALLY want to spend on a mower. I have had 2 Toro Super Recyclers and one lasted about 15 years of personal and commercial use, I have since retired that last year. I also have another Super Recycler that I bought in 2005, and that is still running after about 6 years of complete commercial use.

A Toro will last you through the test of time if you take care of them and do routine preventative maintenance, etc. I think it all depends if you really want to spend an extra $200+ on a honda. Toro and Honda are the two best machines for the job hands down.

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Just bought the Honda you;re talking about this winter. Used it for the first time 2 weeks ago as things are slowly getting going. FANTASTIC MACHINE! Go with it you"ll be glad you did! The blade clutch is nice as it does not kill the engine just the blade. Hit a large rock with my composite deck and it rolled over it like a pebble on the freeway! Really like the machine so far, I was where you were between a Honda and a Toro. Go with the Honda Toro's run Briggs engines which have trouble handling the ethanol and are problematic in general! Best of luck!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNA View Post
Just bought the Honda you;re talking about this winter. Used it for the first time 2 weeks ago as things are slowly getting going. FANTASTIC MACHINE! Go with it you"ll be glad you did! The blade clutch is nice as it does not kill the engine just the blade. Hit a large rock with my composite deck and it rolled over it like a pebble on the freeway! Really like the machine so far, I was where you were between a Honda and a Toro. Go with the Honda Toro's run Briggs engines which have trouble handling the ethanol and are problematic in general! Best of luck!
The Toro Super Recycler has engine choices of a Briggs or Kohler. The Toro Super Bagger uses a Honda engine. BTW where does the statement about Briggs engines having problems with ethanol come from? Ethanol in the fuel is problematic for many two and four stroke engines including Honda and Kohler not just Briggs.
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These are great mowers. I own 2 honda HRX217s
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
These are great mowers.
Yep, I agree! Both a great cut and very reliable! I myself would probably go with the Honda.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own