Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

In between mowing and leaf season...

I'm starting to reach the time of year where our weekly mowing is beginning to slow down and the leaves are beginning to accumulate. I bag clippings on about a third of my accounts so on these keeping them looking good isn't much extra work. It does take more time because the grass catchers need to be emptied more often but the lawns stay respectable week to week. I'm always stuck on the rest of my accounts wondering how I should handle it. For the last couple seasons I have offered bagging service to all customers this time of year, but only a handful go for it because it comes at an additional cost.
I generally charge an additional 25% of a regular mow to bag clippings and as of October first I up that to 50%. I usually cut till mid to late October before the leaf box is installed on my dump truck and we hit full time cleanup mode.
Curious to hear how the rest of the Northern guys handle this in between time before full scale fall cleanups begin.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No set % here we just use our own judgement when it comes to the pen and what we add to the bill and the worse the job was the heavier the pen gets.

Your mid-state so your probably about 2-3 weeks ahead of us leaf wise. I am seeing leaves on the ground but they are still a non issue on most of my accounts over half the trees are still green here. I figure we have 4 more mowing weeks after this week followed by a week off to prep and rest for fall clean ups and then 4-6 weeks of they fun.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I struggle with this every year, I usually just mulch them up or blow them into a bed or something, a few I bag but try to avoid it, there are always some that wait till the last minute to book a fall clean-up so I don't wanna clean them up along the way and then they not get a clean-up because most of the leaves have been taken care of. Every house is different, I don't know much about trees but some have lost all of their leaves and then the maples are still holding on to them, October is my least favorite month for cutting, arrgggghhhhhh.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
No set % here we just use our own judgement when it comes to the pen and what we add to the bill and the worse the job was the heavier the pen gets.

Your mid-state so your probably about 2-3 weeks ahead of us leaf wise. I am seeing leaves on the ground but they are still a non issue on most of my accounts over half the trees are still green here. I figure we have 4 more mowing weeks after this week followed by a week off to prep and rest for fall clean ups and then 4-6 weeks of they fun.
I understand what you mean about just using judgment instead of a set percentage. That's how I bid my cleanups. This in between time has always been harder to judge. I started using the percentages because I realized the first year I bagged clippings that I was doing a lot more work for the money during the last month or so of actual cutting. I just came up with that to make sure I was compensated for that extra work at the end of the cutting season. Its just easier for me to have that in my work agreements and contracts, or when someone asks for a mowing quote, then I can give them that price, plus what it would cost to bag, etc...that way there are no surprises for the customer.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i just move the weekly yards to bi weekly at this time of year and keep going back until the leaves stop falling in december. i'm in the south though.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I have one more mow to go then leaves. I don't know how you guys in CT still have grass growing. It got dry and cool here quick and I don't see it bouncing back. This is early for me to stop mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device