Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 PM
TTS TTS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 618
I agree with KTM, as someone pointed out there's very little difference in a 3/4 and 1 ton on most points but the GVW is what will get you. I think all the new 1 tons are right at or over 10k which starts playing in DOT land. 3/4 tons are under 10k so you're pretty much free to do as you wish. Technically if you're using it for personal use the DOT laws don't apply to you but a stickered truck is a stickered truck and it may not be worth the headache.

It will all come down to your business needs vs your personal needs and how often you use it for each purpose. The 1 ton does add options for future growth with the business but the 3/4 ton would make less headaches for personal use.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 AM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,504
If it were me, regardless of 3/4T or 1T, I'd get a solid front axle. No matter how it's loaded, the alignment (specifically toe) will not change. That means a lot, when it comes to tire wear.

I spec'd my former employer's shop trucks with 4.10 gears. My personal truck is 3.73, because that's the lowest I could get. I'd go 4.10s, every time. The OD transmissions of today's trucks allow one to run low gears and still get good gas mileage. I run my truck in 3rd, because in OD it constantly downshifts. The aforementioned shop trucks never downshifted and they were loaded way heavier than my stuff.

I've been browsing the HD Rams, myself.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2013, 01:41 AM
NYH1's Avatar
NYH1 NYH1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central New York
Posts: 16
Yeah, I'm leaning towards a Ram. I know I can't compare my current Ram 1500 to any HD truck, however it's been a great truck. I leased it new, then bought it after the lease was up. With the Hemi, 5 sp. auto trans. w/ tow/hual mode and 3.92 gears, I've towed 7500 lbs. with no problem (that's 1000 lbs. under my max tow capacity). I can only imagine how much better a 3/4 or 1 ton would tow. Just being heavier altogether, having a heavier duty drivetrain, suspension, brakes ect.

I do however have a GMC dealer about a half mile from the house and a Chevy dealer about two miles away. Plus, I do like them as a close second to the Rams. I do like the idea of a solid front axle on a plow truck. Just my opinion so far.

Thanks again guys, NYH1.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
Yeah, I'm leaning towards a Ram. I know I can't compare my current Ram 1500 to any HD truck, however it's been a great truck. I leased it new, then bought it after the lease was up. With the Hemi, 5 sp. auto trans. w/ tow/hual mode and 3.92 gears, I've towed 7500 lbs. with no problem (that's 1000 lbs. under my max tow capacity). I can only imagine how much better a 3/4 or 1 ton would tow. Just being heavier altogether, having a heavier duty drivetrain, suspension, brakes ect.
Don't be so hard on your truck. That thing is built way heavier than you think. I've been all over and under 1/2T Rams. They're stout. IMHO, Chevy and Ford don't compare in how heavy they're built. The Hemi is a great engine and gets decent mileage, driven properly.

AFA Chevy goes, I'll never own another. The "all-new" '14 model is a rehash of the previous truck. Their HD line is nowhere near the stout build of the Ram or Ford. Do a lot of research on the high performance diesel forums. Yeah, they hot rod the crap out of anything, but, what I'd look at is what fails. Around here, it's steering components, transfer cases, and front differentials. Those are key components in your desire to plow with this truck. Dodge drivetrains just don't break.

I know Ford's SD undercarriages, but, not much on their new powertrains. Even being a Ford guy, I'm not sure I can recommend their diesel, given all their past 6.0L issues. Their gas engine is a hog. I'm just not confident in their brand, anymore.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
JDGlandscape's Avatar
JDGlandscape JDGlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Don't be so hard on your truck. That thing is built way heavier than you think. I've been all over and under 1/2T Rams. They're stout. IMHO, Chevy and Ford don't compare in how heavy they're built. The Hemi is a great engine and gets decent mileage, driven properly.

AFA Chevy goes, I'll never own another. The "all-new" '14 model is a rehash of the previous truck. Their HD line is nowhere near the stout build of the Ram or Ford. Do a lot of research on the high performance diesel forums. Yeah, they hot rod the crap out of anything, but, what I'd look at is what fails. Around here, it's steering components, transfer cases, and front differentials. Those are key components in your desire to plow with this truck. Dodge drivetrains just don't break.

I know Ford's SD undercarriages, but, not much on their new powertrains. Even being a Ford guy, I'm not sure I can recommend their diesel, given all their past 6.0L issues. Their gas engine is a hog. I'm just not confident in their brand, anymore.
The newest ford powertrain is actually really, really good. I read lots of truck forums and this newest ford is the best by far that they have ever had. The actual failure rate and warranty claim rate is significantly lower than any of their past engines, the mighty 7.3 included.
__________________
2005 F350 supercab 6.0 powerstroke
1999 F350 supercab 7.3 Diesel Boss V plow
1999 F350 Dump 7.3 Diesel 9' Fisher plow
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 PM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
The newest ford powertrain is actually really, really good. I read lots of truck forums and this newest ford is the best by far that they have ever had. The actual failure rate and warranty claim rate is significantly lower than any of their past engines, the mighty 7.3 included.
A friend just bought a new SD diesel and he says the same thing.

Personally, I could never justify the diesel option, as I just don't pull heavy enough loads, frequent enough, to offset the increased initial cost. That's what had me looking at gas options. I have several friends/acquaintances that have Hemis and love them. I've driven and worked on one of their trucks, so I've seen how the trucks are built. If they ever come out with air ride on their HD line, I'd definitely go Ram. I have one friend with the 6.2L Ford and he's getting 12mpg, or less, empty. I just can't see owning something that thirsty. That puts me back to the Ram, even though I'm a Ford guy at heart. I'm not buying tomorrow, anyway, so I can continue to dream.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 PM
TML's Avatar
TML TML is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern, ME
Posts: 641
Most of the new 3500 trucks are at 10200 and 2500 around 9200. Where Im at anything over 10k and used in commerce needs to have company name and DOT#. I don't think it's costs anything to get a DOT # but just another thing to do and consider, it also puts you in the game if there is a good presence of DOT enforcement in your area. This is just starting to be enforced in my area. Many LCO with 1 ton dumps and trailers getting pulled over and being told to be in compliance with mostly warnings so far. Most including myself were unaware a basic 1 ton doing local work in state not involving hazmat needed to go through all that nonsense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 PM
TML's Avatar
TML TML is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern, ME
Posts: 641
I also work in a high tourist area and it is completely fine for a old couple driving a gargantuan motor home, dog in their lap, towing their car as well to drive around without any additional certification or compliance requirements.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Classic Cuts Lawn Service's Avatar
Classic Cuts Lawn Service Classic Cuts Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 916
I was always told if you need a 14ft trailer get a 18 ft trailer. I would assume the same for trucks. If you think you need a 3/4 ton. get the 1 ton
__________________
Classic Cuts Lawn Service
Ford and Chevy trucks
Exmark, Toro, Scag mowers
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 AM
NYH1's Avatar
NYH1 NYH1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central New York
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
I was always told if you need a 14ft trailer get a 18 ft trailer. I would assume the same for trucks. If you think you need a 3/4 ton. get the 1 ton
Yeah, that's kind of my way of thinking too. However, that's why I asked the question to begin with. Some have brought up the point that trucks with GVWR over 10,000 lbs. can run into the DOT regulations. I'll have to look into that. The last thing I want to do is play the DOT game again, had enough of that when I drove truck for a few years.

Thanks, NYH1.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Page generated in 0.08118 seconds with 8 queries