Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the honest responses. Those responses make me feel good about a future relationship between me and my Cheetah..... LOL

Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
follow up:

it only took me 75 mins of non stop riding at full throttle to get it all mowed tonite... it was good & dry but fairly thick & its all at angles & hills....

8 psi in the 24" tires
THINK my ATZ is about 1500lbs
35-37hp Kawi motor

used just a shade over 2.2 gallons.

thats a little more than i thought it was using, but its the most accurate ive measured it.

im still pretty happy with that.
I would have guessed you would be at slightly over 2 gph due to the hills you mow, and this is because mine is at 2 gph + or - a tenth on flat land mowing. The ease of cutting I'm experiencing now will drop my 35 into the 1.9 gph range, but it would totally blow your mind to see how much grass I can cut in 1 hr. The fuel for the amount of work produced in my open, flat land cutting scenario equates out much better than it would for some running the same engine.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah you were right on with your predicts..... your experienced & im a rookie. :-)

your also on a speed demon, while im on a grunter. LMAO

Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
yeah you were right on with your predicts..... your experienced & im a rookie. :-)

your also on a speed demon, while im on a grunter. LMAO
There is just a tremendous difference in cutting flat versus mountainous land. Take the cutting out of the equation, no blades turned on, the engine will naturally use more fuel if only moving the machine on steep grade property versus flat land.

I am very familiar with the mountains of North and South Carolina, in my younger years I surveyed for Duke Power (now Duke Energy), I ran all the access roads in for Lake Jocassee, and have also surveyed for power lines through the mountains. That was extremely hard work, there were places we walked (mostly climbing) with all out equipment for well over an hour getting back into our starting points, the snakes never bothered me a great deal, but the Yellow Jackets wore us out.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

PP: you should be 125 yrs old by now with as many lives as you've had. hope my health holds out long enough to get thru half as much as you have. keep moving bud... standing still lets death catch you easier.

funny you would say that we work for Duke Energy a lot.... (not mowing)

your mountains in NC & SC are the same ones ive got on my end. :-) we are kinda rolling his topic off center but here's a good shot of one of those power lines your talking about from a couple weekends ago...

this was on top of the other one before you drop down and go back up... you know how powerline trails are. zoom in on that and you can see its a good one.

now back to mowing: do you guys still run premium?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
PP: you should be 125 yrs old by now with as many lives as you've had. hope my health holds out long enough to get thru half as much as you have. keep moving bud... standing still lets death catch you easier.

funny you would say that we work for Duke Energy a lot.... (not mowing)

your mountains in NC & SC are the same ones ive got on my end. :-) we are kinda rolling his topic off center but here's a good shot of one of those power lines your talking about from a couple weekends ago...

this was on top of the other one before you drop down and go back up... you know how powerline trails are. zoom in on that and you can see its a good one.

now back to mowing: do you guys still run premium?
Take my word for it, I'm very familiar with mountain power line surveying, had to make one trip cutting the center line of which a 10' path was cut to ground level and all debris move off the survey area. Then came back and measured 100' stations where a 14" wooden stake was driven into the ground with the station number written in black permanent marker. I kept notes while everything crossing (such as a creek) was tied from a station number.

The third trip down the survey line consisted of running levels enabling the contour changes to be mapped, and the fourth trip consisted of locating and physically surveying to the property corners of the property being crossed; enabling a calculation of how much property would to be purchased from the owner, for the power line right of way.

When all right of way was purchased, the line designed, and the right of way cleared, I would then come back and stake the towers for construction. There is a great deal of work involved in accomplishing a new power line build.

We should drop this and get back to the subject at hand, just thought I would let you know what all is really involved with building a power line, much more than the average person could ever dream.

I have never run high octane, but always run StarTron as an additive in all my gas and diesel fuel.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

right,

strictly on topic of fuel & consumption..

so what is Star Tron & whats it do? is it like Sea Foam? thats pretty popular up here.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
right,

strictly on topic of fuel & consumption..

so what is Star Tron & whats it do? is it like Sea Foam? thats pretty popular up here.
http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 22 acres of field grass that I cut four or five times a year with finish mowers, so most of the time it's 12 - 18" tall when I cut it. I have a 2007 JD 777 with the Kawa 27 hp liquid cooled gasoline engine and 72" deck. I feed it all the ground speed it will take without bogging down, so maximum power consumption about 95% of the time on this mow and I consume 1.6 gal. / hr.. I also have a new (2013) JD 2032R CUT with a 32 hp yanmar diesel and 72" MMM. - Same thing regarding using most of the power available most of the time on this same job, but with 5 additional hp over the 777 it takes more to bog it down, as the diesel just powers through about anything. - I use 1.1 gal. / hr.. . . . my next piece of large capacity finish mowing equipment is going to be a diesel powered zero turn with a 72" deck, not sure what color yet, but will consider the Scag with a Cat. diesel.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, posted to wrong thread / topic.