Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler XR-7 Cut Pictures

We have been extremely dry as can be seen from the pond being low, but we had 1.2" of rain Saturday night and grass; even though showing signs of fall, is cutting the best it has all year.

The 2006 Hustler Super Z with its 66" XR-7 deck is producing a very good cut for a dukes mixture of grasses and weeds at top speed.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
We have been extremely dry as can be seen from the pond being low, but we had 1.2" of rain Saturday night and grass; even though showing signs of fall, is cutting the best it has all year.

The 2006 Hustler Super Z with its 66" XR-7 deck is producing a very good cut for a dukes mixture of grasses and weeds at top speed.
Do you have two mowers? I thought I saw you had a 72in Hustler... Property looks good....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

That is really nice and even looking i like how you cant see any clippings. How high was the grass before you cut it and what kind of blades did you use?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Do you have two mowers? I thought I saw you had a 72in Hustler... Property looks good....
Posted via Mobile Device
I've got a 72" HyperDrive with the 35 Kawasaki, I just jumped on this one today instead of the bigger one. This older 2006 Super Z has all new parts, new engine, pumps, wheel motors, seat, spindles, relays, electric clutch, new hoses, wiring, relays, control panel, and fuse holders. The mower runs and operates as good as the first day it was unloaded off the trailer.

With both mowers sitting side by side, I could care less which one I mow with, they both do an excellent job, and they cut more grass faster than other mowers in my type large area cutting.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen pics of the big boy but never the 66.... Is it as fast as the 72?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a937539 View Post
That is really nice and even looking i like how you cant see any clippings. How high was the grass before you cut it and what kind of blades did you use?
This grass cut the easiest it has all year, only cut a couple to three inches off, it has been very dry and the grass has slowed down a great deal. I have been using the stock fusion blades since they came into existence, they are much tougher than other blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I've seen pics of the big boy but never the 66.... Is it as fast as the 72?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, the older mower is almost 3 mph slower, but actually mows at a more comfortable speed, anything over 14 is rough.

Last edited by puppypaws; 09-23-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a picture of both mowers together. You can't get my wife on the big mower, she loves the way the older machine handles.

This is the old mower just after a total rebuild. Everything is new except the hydraulic reservoir, even the cap is new on the tank. The control panel decal is new as well, there were no corners cut, the mower cranks, operates and cuts like it is brand new, and with the efi engine it only burns around 1 gph. I checked it very accurately once in light cutting and it burned .93 gal. in one hour.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Here is a picture of both mowers together. You can't get my wife on the big mower, she loves the way the older machine handles.

This is the old mower just after a total rebuild. Everything is new except the hydraulic reservoir, even the cap is new on the tank. The control panel decal is new as well, there were no corners cut, the mower cranks, operates and cuts like it is brand new, and with the efi engine it only burns around 1 gph. I checked it very accurately once in light cutting and it burned .93 gal. in one hour.

Mowers look awesome & those are definitely some good fuel numbers. ...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

After all the rain you've posted about all summer, how can your pond now be low and you say it has been extremely dry? It was only a week or two back that you were posting in another thread that you were getting hammered with rain again after a short hiatus. Is your soil so sandy or loamy that it doesn't hold the water in the ponds well, and the turf dries out quickly?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
After all the rain you've posted about all summer, how can your pond now be low and you say it has been extremely dry? It was only a week or two back that you were posting in another thread that you were getting hammered with rain again after a short hiatus. Is your soil so sandy or loamy that it doesn't hold the water in the ponds well, and the turf dries out quickly?
This is a totally different world that what you see in Michigan, and as you get older you are also finding out time goes much faster than you could ever believe.

Check back on the post dates and really figure out how long it has been since I talked about having the most rainfall measured in our area in 75 yrs. We had the first measurable rainfall in over a month Saturday night which was 1.2", remember, being a farmer keeps me well aware of rainfall amounts.

We have much thinner topsoil in our area and the ground is full of shale rock, yet you move 15 miles east or south and sand comes into play. The soils in our area dry out extremely fast, and our water table is much lower, comes to within about 30' from the top of the ground in this particular area.

I talk with farmers in the Midwest and upper part of the country that are forced to install drain tile to lower the water table which is very close to the surface, not a problem we deal with. They run this tile on like a 50 to 100' grid at a depth of approximately 4'. Crops in those areas can hold very well with 6 wks. of no rainfall, whereas that period in our area would have crops dying.

The same as cutting grass is totally different in many areas of the country, so is farming. The ground was so dry that when the 1.2" of rain fell Saturday night, the next morning the ground had soaked it up to the point of looking like no more than a heavy dew. Before I checked the two rain gauges I would have bet it rained no more than a couple to three tenths, and honest was extremely shocked to see 1.2" in both gauges.

A week with no rain in our area makes a huge difference, two weeks it is beginning to get dry, three weeks and it is hurting crops from lack of water. We do not have soils with good water holding capability, when growing row-crops, a month without rain can mean the difference of profit or loss.