Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Do Cal Trimmer mowers have clutch issues?

I'm considering going to a reel mower for my home lawn. It's between the Tru Cut and Cal Trimmer. I stopped in at a local repair sharpening shop to ask a few questions and he said it seems like every Cal Trimmer that he sees has had the clutches redone. I am leaning toward the Cal because I can get the better pricing locally than the Tru Cut and it seems like a simpler machine to operate.
Are they known to have clutch issues and would that be a problem for a homeowner cutting a 4K sq. ft lawn? Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomer View Post
I'm considering going to a reel mower for my home lawn. It's between the Tru Cut and Cal Trimmer. I stopped in at a local repair sharpening shop to ask a few questions and he said it seems like every Cal Trimmer that he sees has had the clutches redone. I am leaning toward the Cal because I can get the better pricing locally than the Tru Cut and it seems like a simpler machine to operate.
Are they known to have clutch issues and would that be a problem for a homeowner cutting a 4K sq. ft lawn? Thanks in advance
Tru-cuts are solid machines, I run the hell out of mine. The blade and drive being seperate controls is nice, but with the trimmer its the blade, or the blade and drive. At some point you may want it to drive without the blade spinning. Also, the drive roller on the trimmers is hardly off the ground, so if you lift the front end slightly, it will want to take off. The Tru-cut, with swivel casters, an open differential and a seperate drive lever doesn't suffer from that. The bedknife adjustment on the trimmer is easier, but that's the only thing I can think of.
I can't tell you if they all have clutch issues, but I can tell you that I picked up a yard this year from some one who's trimmers mower gave up. I haven't touched mine in a year aside from spraying it off and taking pictures to sell it. There is no adjustment on the handle, so if you get a trimmer, its gonna suck to use if your close to or over 6'
As far as one being easier to operate, I think you have it backwards. With the trimmer, you drop the roller run and try to reach the lever and pull it before it hits something, then turn it with out letting the roller touch the ground drop lever and repeat. And the Tru-cut, you lock the blade and press the drive as needed, with the ability to lock it on long straights There is no need to lift the front to turn it, you just spin it and press the drive when its straightened up.
The hanger on the grass catcher just slides in on the Tru-cut, where as it slides in and has a bent rod to hold the top on the trimmers. That's one extra step every time you go to dump it, and with low cut grass its often. But the part that really sucks is that rod flops around when you dump the clippings and clippings get caught on it and there will be some spillage.
The hight adjustment sucks on the trimmers, like pretty much everything about them, where as the Tru-cut has an easily adjustable system. Just pull the lever to the exact height you want with out leaning over.

Try before you buy if at all possible.
Posted via Mobile Device