Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

PP,

its always great to see your posts & read your stuff.. not to mention the great input you have given me on my toy....

but man o man... your yard looks GREAT!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
PP,

its always great to see your posts & read your stuff.. not to mention the great input you have given me on my toy....

but man o man... your yard looks GREAT!!!
I don't know whether I would call it a yard, you are only seeing about half of the roughly 15 acres cut each week. We started cutting the corn around this part of the farm today so now I will need to get the corn stalks chopped and all the broken cobs and stalks blown back into the fields.

Last edited by puppypaws; 09-24-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

oh i just meant the part you regular mow... :-)

farming is a completely different animal.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
oh i just meant the part you regular mow... :-)

farming is a completely different animal.
15 acres is the grass mowing alone, but with several hundred acres of corn stalks to shred in preparation to no-till wheat starting about the middle of October. We are only about 50 acres behind the combine with the chopping tractor. You would enjoy setting in the cab of a 150 hp tractor with the A/C running and listening to the stereo music playing while operating a rotary cutter. I can say it is honestly relaxing, whereas back in my younger years I spent many an hour on a tractor with no cab or radio, just dust and sun, and believe me you felt beat after about 10 hrs. run time, whereas now, you feel much better after that length of time operating the newer machinery.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
No, it's only a matter of what she is familiar with, and like I've said before, with both mowers setting there ready to mow, I find myself jumping on the old mower instead of the new one more times than not. They both operate differently, with the old mower feeling freer in operation (many call it loose), while the big mower is quicker to respond. I can say I love the feel of both machines, and have yet to operate any mower close in smoothness of operation to that of a Super Z.
When I demoed the new mower there was no comparison in the drive and BB motor, the mower was so much more powerful and responsive like a Ferrari, I have also demoed a XR7 model with a 31 Kaw and half of it was the motor having more torque.

Next season if I still have this one job I do I will throw a bigger 1000cc style motor on my Super and see how much it bridges the gap but in no way is the old drive even remotely close to the newer one.

I am going to finish doing a full scale make over of the mower and see how much better I can make it. I have made a few changes so far that help.

I need to get off my butt and post pictures of changes that really help the mower. I may even put the High Torque wheel motors on it and throw 26's on it. I found the motors new for 180 a piece and I no longer need the high speed but I do need torque.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
When I demoed the new mower there was no comparison in the drive and BB motor, the mower was so much more powerful and responsive like a Ferrari, I have also demoed a XR7 model with a 31 Kaw and half of it was the motor having more torque.

Next season if I still have this one job I do I will throw a bigger 1000cc style motor on my Super and see how much it bridges the gap but in no way is the old drive even remotely close to the newer one.

I am going to finish doing a full scale make over of the mower and see how much better I can make it. I have made a few changes so far that help.

I need to get off my butt and post pictures of changes that really help the mower. I may even put the High Torque wheel motors on it and throw 26's on it. I found the motors new for 180 a piece and I no longer need the high speed but I do need torque.
There is definitely a difference in the feel of power with the big mower, but with the lighter cutting I'm dealing with now you don't notice the lack of power with the 28 efi versus the 35 BB nearly as much. The 28 is moving through the grass very easily, but it is all because of the conditions, dry, and slower growth due to the days becoming shorter.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
15 acres is the grass mowing alone, but with several hundred acres of corn stalks to shred in preparation to no-till wheat starting about the middle of October. We are only about 50 acres behind the combine with the chopping tractor. You would enjoy setting in the cab of a 150 hp tractor with the A/C running and listening to the stereo music playing while operating a rotary cutter. I can say it is honestly relaxing, whereas back in my younger years I spent many an hour on a tractor with no cab or radio, just dust and sun, and believe me you felt beat after about 10 hrs. run time, whereas now, you feel much better after that length of time operating the newer machinery.
bud i totally understand what your saying... how you describe farming is how i used to feel about mowing..

it was just a dreaded chore.. 7 acres at my granparents.. an acre at my parents... then my 2 acre hillside(that you've seen the pic of)... then endless hours of push mowing and weedbeating....

but now with your help... im actually having fun tooling around my yard mowing! & ive got a tinker toy on top of that!

im sure your right on the farming as well.... when we were kids it was all hand picking, bale tossing & tobacco cutt/stick...

with the right toys maybe it could be less of a chore & something kinda enjoyable.

will maybe take you up on that idea after my kids are grown.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
There is definitely a difference in the feel of power with the big mower, but with the lighter cutting I'm dealing with now you don't notice the lack of power with the 28 efi versus the 35 BB nearly as much. The 28 is moving through the grass very easily, but it is all because of the conditions, dry, and slower growth due to the days becoming shorter.
I am sure the EFI mower is 10 to 20 $ a day cheaper in fuel and that adds up quick. Hey Puppy if I were to pull the front baffle completely out on the XR7 and run it more open with the newer style blades what do you think the results would be?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I am sure the EFI mower is 10 to 20 $ a day cheaper in fuel and that adds up quick. Hey Puppy if I were to pull the front baffle completely out on the XR7 and run it more open with the newer style blades what do you think the results would be?
I have no idea, something I've never had the need to consider...
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
When I demoed the new mower there was no comparison in the drive and BB motor, the mower was so much more powerful and responsive like a Ferrari,

RS,

im loving the new 1000cc Kawi i put on mine.... HUGE change from what i had..

now about those wheel motors..

what ones are you thinking of putting on & where the hell did you find them for $180? PM it if you dont want to post it..

thanks! s