Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Core Aeration

I work on Long Island its been a bit chilly here between 60- 70 day time and between 45 - 55 at night. Can I still market core aeration or is it to late. ?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes you can still market aeration. I will sometimes aerate as late as Thanksgiving and my area is much colder than yours.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that. Through October for sure, maybe later.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about in a warmer climate? It was 97 today and has been getting down into the 50's-60's
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not know enough about warm season turf to offer an opinion. Having adequate soil moisture is important just in terms of the mechanics of pulling plugs. If your turf is about to go dormant I would have concerns about aerating it. On the other hand, if you plan to overseed with rye aerating may help.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
I work on Long Island its been a bit chilly here between 60- 70 day time and between 45 - 55 at night. Can I still market core aeration or is it to late. ?
There were some studies done years ago that proved out that it is good to aerate right up to hard freeze. Even during the winter Aeration will improve the Freeze / thaw movement and loosening of the soil. In warm season grasses it is really good to do an intense aeration just before or at the same time you overseed with your winter rye lawn.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
There were some studies done years ago that proved out that it is good to aerate right up to hard freeze. Even during the winter Aeration will improve the Freeze / thaw movement and loosening of the soil. In warm season grasses it is really good to do an intense aeration just before or at the same time you overseed with your winter rye lawn.
Wise words right there from turfcobob. Little known fact that the "freeze/thaw" soil condition actually allows one to pull the very best plugs. I can't remember exactly why, but ISU made note of this. We too have experienced this (beneficial) factor. Most commonly, our deepest plugs occur when we aerate during late October thru early December. (central Iowa)

Late August, September, and most of October often means little rain, sunny days, low humidity, drying winds, and rock hard soil. Most LCO's around here aerate in early fall when most soils are dried out & hard. Pulling 1/2 inch plugs is stealing money from homeowners IMO.

We wait until soil conditions allow us NOT to "rip off customers". I remember aerating on Thanksgiving Day because we could do the job right.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
... We too have experienced this (beneficial) factor. Most commonly, our deepest plugs occur when we aerate during late October thru early December. (central Iowa)

Late August, September, and most of October often means little rain, sunny days, low humidity, drying winds, and rock hard soil. Most LCO's around here aerate in early fall when most soils are dried out & hard. ...
I was not aware of that difference between us... Typically we look forward to rains becoming prevalent during September,,, heavy dews and cool damp air right up to Winter... our last 2 Octobers were actually way too dry and I think allowing non-irrigated seed to die after germination in some cases... That is not typical for Centro Wisco...
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm looking for ANY university published document re: "aeration right up till a hard freeze".

...still looking....?....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. We aerate (and seed) right up until the ground 'stays frozen'. (seed companies are also busy selling grass seed until the snow flies). Sure, you might have 1/2 inch layer of topsoil "frozen in early morning", but when the sun comes out >> it's a different story.

Bottom line -- grass seed must be present in the soil profile in order for "grass to grow". Early fall/late fall/spring = doesn't matter. No seed = no grass. Always better to take the chance for grass to grow compared to never giving it a chance at all. We have seen excellent results seeding in late November.