Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Late Season Fertilizer Application

I was recently approached by my sister in law to maintain their lawn. It needs A Little TLC but I should be able to get it back in shape by next year. We are almost approaching the end of September in Wisconsin and I still wanted to apply fertilizer to her lawn. I use Lesco fertilizer and was going to apply a 24-0-11 hopefully yet this week. My question is; Can I still make a second application yet this fall with say a 32-0-10 or am I too late in the season for a second application? I probably wouldn't apply the second application until late October or early November. They didn't apply any fertilizer their grass at all this year.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. The combination of those two with the timing you listed should make a big improvement now and into May. Next year it would be good to get them on a more well rounded program.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I put down fert last week and if the season stays wet and warm I may do another app in mid-Oct...
Anything after that doesn't really get used up before the ground freezes...
Are you in Z5???
Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are fine, Johnap. You could use the same product say the 24-0-11. It comes in two versions: 50 percent and 30 percent of nitrogen as slow release. Slow release is important in the late fall according to some experts in Michigan...because...any quick release fert not taken up in the fall due to cold soil, will be leached out during cold winter rains and snow, resulting in ground water nitrates. Better to have some slow release in spring that releases a few per cent each week.

No everyone agrees, of course.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in Western WI. La Crosse area. Thanks to all so far for the advice. I appreciate it.
John
Old 09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You are fine, Johnap. You could use the same product say the 24-0-11. It comes in two versions: 50 percent and 30 percent of nitrogen as slow release. Slow release is important in the late fall according to some experts in Michigan...because...any quick release fert not taken up in the fall due to cold soil, will be leached out during cold winter rains and snow, resulting in ground water nitrates. Better to have some slow release in spring that releases a few per cent each week.

No everyone agrees, of course.
Riggle, that's a very good point about have some SRN both to reduce nutrient runoff and improve spring color.

I agree.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-24-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am doing a round of 33-0-5 fert now for my customers. I will do a final fert treatment late October for most of those. Will probably use a more all mineral fert at that time to ensure it gets used up prior to freeze up.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I am doing a round of 33-0-5 fert now for my customers. I will do a final fert treatment late October for most of those. Will probably use a more all mineral fert at that time to ensure it gets used up prior to freeze up.
Yes...depending on low temps and freeze up....it is best to use a faster release later in the season.

I'm putting down HEAVY synthetic product now that has a small amount of slow release polymer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Yes...depending on low temps and freeze up....it is best to use a faster release later in the season.

I'm putting down HEAVY synthetic product now that has a small amount of slow release polymer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Studies done at the University of Wisconsin has shown that any fertilizer applied after October 10th of a typical year is of little value. I used to do my last fert around Halloween but have not put any fertilizer out after the first week of October for 4 years now. The lawns look just as good as anybody else's and I am not having a bunch of nitrogen leach away. Those original studies with late season fertilization were done in the central US in the transition zone, not in the northern US. That 24-0-11 is all you need this fall.
Posted via Mobile Device