Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Electronic Igniton to replace points

I have an old John Deere 314. This machine eats points. The only problem I've ever had with this machine is how short a time the points last. A brand new set will last me 3 to 4 months.

Was wondering if one of those $20 ignition modules that appear to replace the points, really work?

Has anyone done this conversion? If it was something that work, it certainly would solve my points problem with this tractor.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill
Old 09-22-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonbh View Post

Has anyone done this conversion? If it was something that work, it certainly would solve my points problem with this tractor.
Back in the day, I've converted the old B&S engines that where on Little Wonder edgers over and Jacobson 2 cycle commercial push mowers over. If I remember correctly, it was cut one wire, conncect another wire. Find a place to mount the little guy on the side of the engine and you were done....

Question, are you having a problem with the points themselves or the condenser ?

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, do it

I had an old skid steer with a Wisconsin 4 cylinder on it. Finally found an electronic kit, but it was closer to $80 if I remember correctly. It all fit under the distributor cap, simple installation with the instructions. The machine ran smoother, used less gas, and never had to deal with the points again! I highly recommend doing away with the points.
When I was doing that, I also found an old timing light and checked the timing, that probably helped too.
The other thing that machine liked was a regular dose of (pick your favorite gas cleaner/additive), really smoothed it out. I liked Marvel Mystery Oil, gave it a few ounces with a 5 gallon can. I used it in the summer for clearing brush, hauling logs/firewood and general material movement. It might set for a while till it was used for snow plowing - when I lived up north.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bill,

It appears you have the old K series engine with the automotive style ignition system, I've seen nothing to take the place of the points with this system.

Are you replacing the condenser each time with the points ?

I had the same issue on a old Buick years ago, I installed one of THESE from a Dodge in the coil power wire and solved the issue......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonbh View Post
I have an old John Deere 314.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill
Reading this might help : http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

......AMF!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Dead Engine

Got the bad news today. The rod that pushes the points open does not move. Mechanic said the camshaft or the mechanical part that pushes that rod no longer functions. Sounds like major engine surgery.

This is a Kohler Cast Iron K321AQS 14hp engine. Spec no. 60343 installed in a John Deere 314

Now, investigating as to whether or not I should pay for a new engine, get this one rebuilt or dump the whole thing and get another machine.

I don't use this as a lawn mower anymore. I just use it to pull a lawn sweeper around and a cart for lawn debris or dirt.

What would you do?

Bill
Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
No, it was not helpful at all.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bill, I'd take a gamble and replace the points plunger rod and see if that solves the issue, The plunger lobe is ground into camshaft. I don't recall ever having to replace a cam due to wear on this lobe......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcatter2 View Post
I had an old skid steer with a Wisconsin 4 cylinder on it. Finally found an electronic kit, but it was closer to $80 if I remember correctly. It all fit under the distributor cap, simple installation with the instructions. The machine ran smoother, used less gas, and never had to deal with the points again! I highly recommend doing away with the points.
When I was doing that, I also found an old timing light and checked the timing, that probably helped too.
The other thing that machine liked was a regular dose of (pick your favorite gas cleaner/additive), really smoothed it out. I liked Marvel Mystery Oil, gave it a few ounces with a 5 gallon can. I used it in the summer for clearing brush, hauling logs/firewood and general material movement. It might set for a while till it was used for snow plowing - when I lived up north.
I discovered Marvel Mystery at early age. Passed down by dad and grandpa. We lived in Buffalo so things were always going into storage or coming out. Used it on old boats we bought to unlock engines. Filled the plug holes, let er sit and gods willing she would crank and even free up the rings. A little in the gas cleaned up valves too. Probably the only snake oil that worked. A hundred years later and its still around. Makes a great machining oil too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Bill, I'd take a gamble and replace the points plunger rod and see if that solves the issue, The plunger lobe is ground into camshaft. I don't recall ever having to replace a cam due to wear on this lobe......
I will certainly try that. The existing rod doesn't move at all with I turn the engine over.

When the tractor stopped running, I heard something pop and there was a little puff of smoke that came from the side of the engine. It was disturbing.

Bill

Tags
electronic ignition , john deere 314 , points