Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Unique and Intermatic Controls

These are the controls for the lighting I'm completing. I also included a photo of the splices and the flood fixture which I didn't see in the YardBright link. The voltage at a distant point of the Unique control (multi-tap on 12V) is 12.5 and the voltage at a distant point of the Intermatic control is 13.5.

Sixteen fixtures are on the Unique control and six are on the Intermatic. BTW the design looks good.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I was just thinking that as a new member this might be a bit too much. What I would really like is a diagnostic confirmation. The main issue is that eight fixtures (bulbs) are out in a 22 fixture installation. Two of the fixtures were not wired. Although the Intermatic timer may be pushing the voltage limits of the bulbs, the bulbs that were out were random like if you threw darts at the design plan. Some on the Intermatic, more on the Unique, some close to the control and some distant.

It adds up to a bulb issue to me. The splices may be questionable but they are all sound after a year. The wire needs to be buried. Is this about right?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like an LED issue to me. You should be ok in those voltage ranges for pretty much all LED's that I know of.

The big fixture you are showing is a Unique Starburst

Did they use silicone filled wire nuts, or they just plain ol wire nuts?

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Tim. There is some kind of compound in some of the nuts. The client said he quit in the middle of the job so it looks like some sections are done and as I mentioned, a couple fixtures were set but not connected.

Another question:
I gave illumicare information online and pricing isn't available, so I called and was told I would get a call back...no call. I don't mind paying retail for this little job. Should I try one of the other recommended companies? I've bought bulbs online in the past without setting up accounts or talking with salespeople. Unfortunately my local supplier doesn't carry any landscape materials.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In the meantime, you can call my local distributor, I am not to far from you. I know they would be happy to put some in a box and drop them in the mail to you. You just need to let them know what you need.

Call Barth Porter with Kenney outdoor solutions- 317-334-7642
Tell him I referred you and he will take care of whatever you need.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Tim I really appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Member

My experience with Kenny Outdoor Solutions to date:
Barth Porter handed me off to Mike Myers because anyone could take care of me. On September 27th I ordered (4) 4W 2700k MR16s, (4) 7W 2700 MR16s, (6) corncobs, (10) splice kits and (10) fuses at about $420. My credit card was charged.

All of the MR16s I received are 3000k and no fuses. My email and phone call to Mike Myers on October 1 still have not been returned. I called on October 3rd and was told they would ship the correct items with paperwork for the return. One week later no shipment has arrived.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hate to dis people on this forum but I had the same experience with this company and this individual. My conclusion is that they can serve you when you're directly in front of them (at the counter) but aren't well organized for phone or email.

I have gone back to ordering directly from Illumicare. I pay a couple bucks more per lamp because they don't want to undercut distributors but I get service that is excellent, prompt, efficient and friendly.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
I hate to dis people on this forum but I had the same experience with this company and this individual. My conclusion is that they can serve you when you're directly in front of them (at the counter) but aren't well organized for phone or email.

I have gone back to ordering directly from Illumicare. I pay a couple bucks more per lamp because they don't want to undercut distributors but I get service that is excellent, prompt, efficient and friendly.
I'm curious if the issues were ever resolved with receiving the correct materials and the return of the incorrect materials?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, eventually. They apologized but there had been too many delays and stumbles for me to continue to deal with them.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."