Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Bring on the Heat

Brett Bentley (pictured here) welcomes the pressure that comes with maintaining a golf course in one of the top-100 “best” lists.

Bentley is golf course superintendent of Pikewood National Golf Club in Morgantown, W.Va., which is No. 45 on the Golf Digest top-100 list. It takes honors for the top-rated course in the state. When Pikewood opened in 2009 after nearly a decade of construction, Golf Digest named it the best new course in the country.

It's Bentley's job to help the course maintain its ranking and even go higher.

"I took the job knowing how much pressure there would be," he adds. "I hold myself to very high standards."

What about you? Would you welcome the pressure of maintaining a top-100 course or rather not deal with it?
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a golf course superintendent or educated enough to be qualified but I do golf alot. I live in the Myrtle Beach SC area which is loaded with great courses. I am always impressed and amazed at the effort put forth to maintain them. My mined explodes when I think of the money involved in that maintenance. Hats off to everyone that works in that field.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

As long as the resources (budget $) go hand in hand with the top-100 expectations, the challenge would be fun....
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Good point Ron, the chances of a small muni ever making it in are nil since they don't have those types of budgets.

Superintendent Magazine
Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The problem can be that if the expectations are Top 100, a courses rank is not only dependent on what is done to it, especially with Classic Era courses, but also the state of other courses. A superintendent can be doing everything in his power to have his layout at it's very best and five other courses that for years were neglected undergo a "sympathetic restoration." Those five enter the rankings or move past the superintendent's layout and now the owners and/or members point a finger at him. They surely are not going to blame the golf pro.

The other scenario is a modern course is designed by a famous architect who's work is not valued by raters. It either doesn't make the lists or doesn't garner a ranking the owner and/or members want. They are not going toto lay blame on the architect. Hell, they paid a lot of money for him. Again, it will be the superintendent who comes under fire.

Nearly 100 percent of the time rankings cause superintendents more headaches than not.