Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Deere 915B seat question

I Have recently purchased a new Deere 915B 54 deck mower. It has the Kohler 27(23.9) engIne and I am pretty happy with it. Although the power is more than enough for what I do with it, the ride is very harsh on my newly planted yard. The yard is 2 acres sloped and has quite a few washouts and less than desireable terrain. ( I will be getting more dozen work and repair in the next few weeks). I wish I had gotten a suspension seat as soon as I hit the first rough patch! I have looked at the usual add on seat package such as the low profile add on like the one Deere sells that installs between the seat pan and seat, and another eBay offering http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-SUSPENS...item3cc3e93cab . Have any of you installed a system like this? If so what did you think? The eBay seat looks more like the milsco (Michigan seat) setup. I guess all I am asking is what can I do to improve my ride on the mower and do at a cost prohibitive point. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought this to put on my old 820A that beat the crap out of me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Suspens...item27d765e9ed

It was better than nothing at all and it did let me decrease my mowing times, but in no way does it compare to the factory suspension seat that I got with my 930M. I think it's the same seat you can buy from Northern Tools http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8424_200268424
In fact it is the same seat. I know it costs more than what you're looking at, but I can guarantee that you would like the Michigan seat.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtech330 View Post
I Have recently purchased a new Deere 915B 54 deck mower. It has the Kohler 27(23.9) engIne and I am pretty happy with it. Although the power is more than enough for what I do with it, the ride is very harsh on my newly planted yard. The yard is 2 acres sloped and has quite a few washouts and less than desireable terrain. ( I will be getting more dozen work and repair in the next few weeks). I wish I had gotten a suspension seat as soon as I hit the first rough patch! I have looked at the usual add on seat package such as the low profile add on like the one Deere sells that installs between the seat pan and seat, and another eBay offering http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-SUSPENS...item3cc3e93cab . Have any of you installed a system like this? If so what did you think? The eBay seat looks more like the milsco (Michigan seat) setup. I guess all I am asking is what can I do to improve my ride on the mower and do at a cost prohibitive point. Thanks!
I have a 2012 Z950. The ride is a rough one for sure. This year after mulling it over and going back and forth in my head based on reviews and what others had said (mostly that it either didn't help or helped very little) I bought the Deere insert kit because I just couldn't take the ride anymore without doing something. Yes, they sell similar ones on e-bay, but they are nor a direct bolt up or require some sort of modification or you have a lack of seat adjustment.

The one I bought is made specifically for Deere Z's and was easy to install, although the directions leave a lot to be desired, and not everything hooks up as written in them. I can say this- it makes a HUGE difference. I should have done it as soon as I bought it. Every time I get on it now I smile at how much better the ride is. Night and day IMO. Worth the extra cost that Deere charges to be able to adjust the seat correctly too.

I prefer the Deere insert kit over their new cheesy suspension seat (apologies to the guy above me here). The padding on their new sus seat sucks bildge water. My stock seat is nice and thick and very comfy, and with the insert I have a much better ride than the new sus seat.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I would Like to retain my factory seat and just add something to soften the blow. ( I am going to look at Northern tool to check out the full seat though). I just dont understand why there isnt even a set of springs under the seat frame on non suspension seat mowers. What would that be ? A $15 dollar option? Even the cheapest of deere lawnmowers have this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The dimensions of the Northern Tool seat require drilling new mounting holes, but other than that they mount up ok. I almost went that way, but am happy I bought the insert when all is said and done. It rides so much better and still looks correct, plus the OEM seat is softer than both the new Deere sus seat and the Northern seat by a mile.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I just took delivery of a 915b a couple weeks ago with the "Isolation" seat option. My property is fairly rough and it seems to work well. It isolates the seat from the mower via 4 rubber gromets mounted to an under seat frame work bolted directly to the seat.

Search the attached pdf file for "915b".
You will see the seat options. Part number 2000 is the seat that comes standard. Part number 2001 is the Isolation seat option. I can't swear to it, but I believe that $195.00 Isolation option is the frame with attached gromets that bolts right to the seat. I'm thinking that if you can purchase that by itself, it will bolt right to your current seat.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Deere_Ztrak_Pparts_5-13-2013.pdf (141.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I installed the JD kit on my Z920m the second week I owned it.
Maybe the best investment I have made.

Later,
Doug
Old 09-29-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Could one of you guys with the J.D. kit possibly post the part number and an approximate price ??? Trying to do some research & comparisons here.

Anybody have any input/feedback on the air suspension kits such as the PUFFER or DeMott ???
Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
Could one of you guys with the J.D. kit possibly post the part number and an approximate price ??? Trying to do some research & comparisons here.

Anybody have any input/feedback on the air suspension kits such as the PUFFER or DeMott ???
I had a guy ask me this on my profile page a while back, and I had the info handy there. This is also what I paid a couple months ago, so the price is still current-

#TCB11252

$328.00
Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanx ... still trying to compare it to the Puffer system ... the air ride LOOKS nice, but, at an additional $100 or so ... I think I'll pass unless I get some VERY positive feedback on it.