Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
I just talked to the dealer about this part ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Suspens...item255ba8a75c

He said it is a direct bolt-in retrofit for the Z920R ... his instructions were basically ... remove existing seat assembly ... unbolt sliders from seat ... bolt sliders to seat deck ... mount suspension unit on top of sliders ... mount seat on top of suspension unit.

I told him I had a reasonably well equipped shop and wasn't afraid of a little fabrication, if necessary, but I wanted to know in advance just what was going to be required. He said there was absolutely no need for any drilling/cutting/welding/tapping/trimming ... it is a straightforward bolt in.

Any input and/or criticisms of this unit ??? He said one reason this unit is cheaper than the factory J.D. part is simply due to the fact that you do retain the original slider mechanism instead of replacing it.

I don't see any difference in the one I posted in #13.. It looks the exact same only a $100 cheaper..
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have measured the hole spacing for both the A models and the newer R models. They are different. A couple new holes drilled in the pan and that should mount up no problem. IIRC, they holes are the same side to side, but different in spacing on length by about 1/2-1".

As far as the slider- that guys is lying to you. The Deere model keeps the slider track too. All you get for tracks is the opposite track and the parts to make the swap.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I don't see any difference in the one I posted in #13.. It looks the exact same only a $100 cheaper..
Mounting hole spacing and the attaching parts is usually the difference.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Mounting hole spacing and the attaching parts is usually the difference.
It used to be so simple. Now they change to much from year to year.. But if all i had to do is drill 2 new holes & save $100 & everything worked like it should.. I'm gonna save the $100..
Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It used to be so simple. Now they change to much from year to year.. But if all i had to do is drill 2 new holes & save $100 & everything worked like it should.. I'm gonna save the $100..
Agreed. I guess they needed to find new ways to screw customers over, so they started altering add on fit-up from model to model.

The one they have on e-bay for mine was $70 less than the one at the dealer, but the one at the dealer bolted right up, allowed the slide to work correctly, and no wiring changes or alterations were needed, so i was happy to spend the extra money. It sure made the ride a ton better. Now if those losers at JD would actually get the flex forks out on the market..............then I'd really be riding in comfort.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The one they have on e-bay for mine was $70 less than the one at the dealer, but the one at the dealer bolted right up, allowed the slide to work correctly, and no wiring changes or alterations were needed, so i was happy to spend the extra money. It sure made the ride a ton better. Now if those losers at JD would actually get the flex forks out on the market..............then I'd really be riding in comfort.
I know.. I was looking at that farm guys Hustler pics the other day trying to figure out how I could get those flex forks to work on my mower.. Wishful thinking I guess..
Old 09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I know.. I was looking at that farm guys Hustler pics the other day trying to figure out how I could get those flex forks to work on my mower.. Wishful thinking I guess..
They may not ride like flex forks.....quite, but true pneumatic front tires make a whale of a difference in ride quality. If Deere doesn't get their flex forks out soon, I may just buy some new front wheels and pneumatic tires. I've had them before and it's unbelievable how much better they ride once you find the best PSI for them and your machine.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
They may not ride like flex forks.....quite, but true pneumatic front tires make a whale of a difference in ride quality. If Deere doesn't get their flex forks out soon, I may just buy some new front wheels and pneumatic tires. I've had them before and it's unbelievable how much better they ride once you find the best PSI for them and your machine.
True on the pneumatic front tires. My scag has them and rides better than the deere with noflats.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

ANy good reason to not consider this seat assembly ... looks to be a direct bolt in replacement on the Z920R ???

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8424_200268424
Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
ANy good reason to not consider this seat assembly ... looks to be a direct bolt in replacement on the Z920R ???

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8424_200268424
I was going to buy one of those not too long ago, but you have to drill two new holes on the A model platform (side to side which threw it off center), but might be able to bolt it directly on the new R models. Measure your hole spacing and then compare to the Northern seat (or maybe that's what you already did). I am almost positive that the spacing is off from the R model side to side as well (going off my memory here). I know the R model is off from the A model lengthwise (front to back) and that was a big reason I didn't buy the new sus seat when I started shopping around.