Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawa 31 HP - "Is she a gas hog"

Homeowner here:

I follow most anything posted here because of my thirst for information that is available here.

I read some time ago that the Kawa 31hp might be a "gas hog". Because I don't have any previous ZTR experience, and because I chose that engine for my new Scag Cheetah (61"), that statement instantly spiked my interest.

On Aug 28, I filled one Scag tank (right side) with seven gallons of fuel (the hour meter had 11.5 hours).

I cut my yard three separate times (1.5 hours per cut at just over 3 acres), and the Cheetah ran out of fuel just before I finished the backside on the third cut (this after noon).

According to the hour meter, the Cheetah ran out of fuel at the 15.8 hour mark.

(starting at 11.5 hours, seven gallons ended at 15.8 hours. Seven gallons lasted 4.3 hours)

Well, the calculator says the numbers equate to 1.62 gallons of fuel per hour. (or somewhere close to it)

This might sound like a bit much fuel usage for the ZTR, but for 18 years we used right at 2 gallons with the JD345 (with the wife was cutting the intermediate yard), and the Kubota w/ grooming mower used right at 1.5 gallon of diesel to cut the back. All told, it took us right at 4 plus hours to cut the total yard.

The Cheetah cuts our yard in right at 1.5 hours using something over 2 gallons of fuel.

Any comments on the 1.62 gallon of fuel per hour .... ???
Is that a high burn rate considering it's a 31 HP engine (using a 61" deck) .....???

Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My experience after 200 hours is 1.8gph
Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont have the scag.... but my 35-37hp Kawi is using right in that same range on a 6' deck on a Hustler ATZ. 1.8-2 gph...

im tickled to death with that... huge savings over what i was using.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
Homeowner here:

I follow most anything posted here because of my thirst for information that is available here.

I read some time ago that the Kawa 31hp might be a "gas hog". Because I don't have any previous ZTR experience, and because I chose that engine for my new Scag Cheetah (61"), that statement instantly spiked my interest.

On Aug 28, I filled one Scag tank (right side) with seven gallons of fuel (the hour meter had 11.5 hours).

I cut my yard three separate times (1.5 hours per cut at just over 3 acres), and the Cheetah ran out of fuel just before I finished the backside on the third cut (this after noon).

According to the hour meter, the Cheetah ran out of fuel at the 15.8 hour mark.

(starting at 11.5 hours, seven gallons ended at 15.8 hours. Seven gallons lasted 4.3 hours)

Well, the calculator says the numbers equate to 1.62 gallons of fuel per hour. (or somewhere close to it)

This might sound like a bit much fuel usage for the ZTR, but for 18 years we used right at 2 gallons with the JD345 (with the wife was cutting the intermediate yard), and the Kubota w/ grooming mower used right at 1.5 gallon of diesel to cut the back. All told, it took us right at 4 plus hours to cut the total yard.

The Cheetah cuts our yard in right at 1.5 hours using something over 2 gallons of fuel.

Any comments on the 1.62 gallon of fuel per hour .... ???
Is that a high burn rate considering it's a 31 HP engine (using a 61" deck) .....???

That is a very low consumption rate considering this is a 999cc block engine. This makes me think the cutting was extremely light, be happy with what you've seen, because if you get into heavy cutting, 2 gph will go through the engine with no problem.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
That is a very low consumption rate considering this is a 999cc block engine. This makes me think the cutting was extremely light, be happy with what you've seen, because if you get into heavy cutting, 2 gph will go through the engine with no problem.
YES PUPPYPAWS, we went through a three weeks span with no rain here in Cajun Country, so the grass was thin on the second cut. BUT, we received two days of rain on Friday and Saturday. So, with that rain and 90 degree temps over the weekend, the grass was greening up and getting thick quick.....

Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sub.......................
Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
YES PUPPYPAWS, we went through a three weeks span with no rain here in Cajun Country, so the grass was thin on the second cut. BUT, we received two days of rain on Friday and Saturday. So, with that rain and 90 degree temps over the weekend, the grass was greening up and getting thick quick.....

We've been dry here for the past several weeks, and due to fall coming on grasses and weeds are also slowing growth naturally. We had 1.2" of rain Saturday night, and the grass cut the best yesterday it has all year. We are so dry the 1.2" of rain looked as if no more than a heavy dew had fallen on Sunday morning, the ground sucked the rainfall up like a sponge.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

this is your thread... but i do have to mow tonite... first time in 10 days & its pretty tall/thick... so will drop back in and let you know how much i actually use on this run.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

follow up:

it only took me 75 mins of non stop riding at full throttle to get it all mowed tonite... it was good & dry but fairly thick & its all at angles & hills....

8 psi in the 24" tires
THINK my ATZ is about 1500lbs
35-37hp Kawi motor

used just a shade over 2.2 gallons.

thats a little more than i thought it was using, but its the most accurate ive measured it.

im still pretty happy with that.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2 gallons an hour is pretty normal on abig block...
Posted via Mobile Device