Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Poison Ivy. Whats a fair price?

I have a 150 ft. fence line covered in poison ivy. The fence is 4 ft tall. I was thinking along the lines of $3 per foot. Is that enough? Too much?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.K. Lawn View Post
I have a 150 ft. fence line covered in poison ivy. The fence is 4 ft tall. I was thinking along the lines of $3 per foot. Is that enough? Too much?
Posted via Mobile Deviceare you cutting at ground level and remove all vines from fence. If so I'd be at 10 a foot maybe higher depending on how bad the poison ivy is
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To do what? Spray it? Get rid of every last milligram of poison ivy? Big difference. Creeping roots and rhizomes--nearly impossible to get rid of all of it without mowing or plowing
And its the wrong time of year. Spring when the new leaves are only partially expanded--when the vines are at their young tender stage--less than 6 inches new growth is best.

Charge for the risk--if you or your crew get poison ivy and need medical care...cover the possible costs. Cover the possible lost time if you can't work.
Got a helicopter? --its the best way to spray it.

You need something with a high level of triclopyr. Maybe alternate with Roundup on odd numbered weeks.
Charge about a dollar per minute, add a second dollar to compensate for the risk. Add the actual cost of the chemical. Add about 5 dollars per hour to cover the cost of your sprayer and associated fuel and repairs.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

its pretty thick and covers most of the fence. I should up my... I know I won't get 10 per ft. With this company. If I bid 10$ should I take 5$ or 7$ on the foot? Im unaffected by the stuff by the way.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
To do what? Spray it? Get rid of every last milligram of poison ivy? Big difference. Creeping roots and rhizomes--nearly impossible to get rid of all of it without mowing or plowing
And its the wrong time of year. Spring when the new leaves are only partially expanded--when the vines are at their young tender stage--less than 6 inches new growth is best.

Charge for the risk--if you or your crew get poison ivy and need medical care...cover the possible costs. Cover the possible lost time if you can't work.
Got a helicopter? --its the best way to spray it.

You need something with a high level of triclopyr. Maybe alternate with Roundup on odd numbered weeks.
Charge about a dollar per minute, add a second dollar to compensate for the risk. Add the actual cost of the chemical. Add about 5 dollars per hour to cover the cost of your sprayer and associated fuel and repairs.
The Property came to me in a funny way. It was abandoned by a military service member and has been tied up in red tape for 6 years. The bank who now possesses the property just wants it clear. I bid $400 to clear the general property NOT including the poison ivy. They just seem to want the stuff cleared. The prospect of permanent removal hasn't come up.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since you aren't bothered buy it a lot of it can be removed quickly with a string trimmer. How much can be removed depends on the kind of fence. Keep in mind all your clothing will be contaminated.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You just said the magic word bank. They don't care about what the contractor gets. All they want is the cheapest price possible. I wouldn't touch it for less then 10. All of my guys including myself are allergic to it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks all. I'll increase my bid price.

Tags
ivy , poision ivy