Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can the 5400's be rebuilt or repaired. I would think so.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
Can the 5400's be rebuilt or repaired. I would think so.
I went over this with a guy who rebuilds Hydro's for a living and I told him what the Hustler HD uses and he said that was the minimum quality unit they would rebuild.

The 5400 to them are not cost effective to rebuild but you may see it differently. For what he would charge he said just by them new. He said on the Hustler it was about 60% of new to rebuild but on cheaper quality drives it was higher than that so he did not recommend it.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
No, that's full retail, my cost is much lower of course as I am a dealer.... And a shout out to Gravely, they have an old school cast iron spindle that the whole assembly retails for $99, no reason to even mess with taking it apart.... If those would fit on other mowers it would be happening everyday up here, the $200 New Bad Boy spindle is freaking people out, One guy replaced all 3, it was over $600 cause he didn't want to mess with replacing the bearings which would've been $180 plus labor..... I have actually been putting some older style cast iron spindles on some of the newer Bad Boys cause they are $119 each, and all some can afford...
New Hustler Hyper drive puts you well over $12000 too though for a gas machine, but what a transmission it is!!!
That is a problem with the Hustler it needs EFI! I have heard the Kaw EFI's have had issues?
Old 09-29-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

So back on topic for a quick second..... Im gathering its 6 one way or half a dozen the other.... Nothing that really stands out with either option.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem so. The industry seems to heading to the compact transaxle route. Id say another decade and the seprate pump motor will be a rarity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuinRed View Post
So back on topic for a quick second..... Im gathering its 6 one way or half a dozen the other.... Nothing that really stands out with either option.
No the best seperates are clearly better but they are more expensive. I like the all in one design but builders have told me they are of no real quality compared to the best seperate units.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've spoken to many with some super high hours 5400's and they have had zero issues. Two bigger dealers have never even fixed one and sold many. I've had the 3400 and 5400's. 5400's have been perfect. I killed one 3400 at 1100 hrs. I suspect because it was pulling a cyclone rake (the biggest one).I would not say the separates are better than either. Hustler Super Z's had separates and they were a hydraulic disaster. I'm glad they switched to a super duty hydro system.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
I've spoken to many with some super high hours 5400's and they have had zero issues. Two bigger dealers have never even fixed one and sold many. I've had the 3400 and 5400's. 5400's have been perfect. I killed one 3400 at 1100 hrs. I suspect because it was pulling a cyclone rake (the biggest one).I would not say the separates are better than either. Hustler Super Z's had separates and they were a hydraulic disaster. I'm glad they switched to a super duty hydro system.
You can call and talk to people who rebuild them and they will tell you THE BEST SEPERATES ARE CLEARLY BETTER. even the new Super Z does not use the best seperates from what I have been lead to believe.

I was told all the ZTR's use lower grad systems and were not worth rebuilding but the rebuilder said that was not a problem because you can usually find the components to fix your system at a good price.

He called the ZTR grade components disposable junk but said they are cheap so they are good.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

5400's are proven reliable so IMO better than any separates. One manufacturer told me less than 1% warranty claims in 4-5 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the whole concept alot better.