Register free!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

questions on 24D amine/ester, and redzone

I am in central indiana. We usually don't see trace snow till mid-late November and nothing appreciable till almost Christmas.

Would you think an ester base like redzone (lesco) would be good for a late fall app (Late October) as opposed to traditional 3 way? I have some violets on a premium property I have been trying to get for 1 and 1/2 seasons. I just over seeded last week so thinking about spot spraying them next week (redzone) and then doing an actual app (using the ester base RedZone again because I am sure temps will be lower ) around the end of October. I want to get good weed control but also really want the seed to get a good start.

Opinions on whats the bottom end for daytime temps here for standard amine 3 way as a blanket fall app? Also the bottom end daytime temps for ester or a mix product like redzone?

I still have a lot to learn on this end of things and these violets have been kicking my but! I have searched a good bit but would like to have as solid a plan as possible for the rest of the properties I have this fall. (just 3 fairly large properties left and all needed a good bit of seeding).

Thanks,

Z
Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would you mind? Try it and tell us what happens.
Actually, I may try it in November...and let you know.
I have tested Speedzone several times this year. It seemed to be better than a 3-way and excellent overall. Isn't Redzone similar? Include a surfactant in any case.
I began a weed control test 48 hours ago. I will let you know results soon. Violets and three other weeds and 4 different herbicides.

Last year when I tested some products (don't recall which) they worked as well in cold early April as warmer late April, (just slower).

I think a spring application would be better on violets--more rapid growth is occurring. Remember violets are all connected together by roots and rhizomes. Leaves are above ground, but the main stem is below ground.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For general weed control I have sprayed an Amine 3-way product with sticker when the temps are in the 30's. The weeds don't die very fast but they are gone the next spring. I have not tried RedZone but I know TZone works great on violets. I keep it in a backpack for real hard to control weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You really shouldn't be spraying new seedlings until they have been mowed at least once.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I will definitely update, I am really hoping to kill these this time. Not sure where I can get t zone around here (Indy) lesco only carries redzone I believe. Looks like it is missing the triclopyr and sulfetrazone ( I am sure I misspelled that).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my TZone from the John Deere Store here. Yours should be able to get it or at least order it. Didn't they get rid of Redzone once JDL bought Lesco?

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like if they don't have it 3 way ester 2 is close.
Maybe add some Carfentrazone? If I can afford it , geez!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok I hope one of you gents checks back (others feel free tj chime in!). After much searching and reading MY HEAD HURTS!

Looks like if I want the triclopyr I need ester 2 or tzone. No problem there. Probable the ester 2 because I know I can get it now and maybe do a few small tests. Would you add carfetnizone or quinclorac? Rounding it seems like 1oz/1000 on either primary product . I used surfactant for the first time last fall and have always used it since so that will be no different. I am totally new to mixing and it makes me a bit nervous , but after success jumping off the bridge with tenacity and another educated guess I took I am happy to experiment in an educated way. When mixing do you normally use the label rate of both products? If not what rate would you recommend on either the df75 or quicksilver? Looks like 1oz/acre on the Q, .367 oz/1000 on the df75. If using the df75 do I add the methylated seed oil and surfactant and all at prescribed rates?

Sorry to be such a bother. The help of lawnsite is priceless. If I had more time on this I would just run some tests but I really need to at least get some decent results and would like a head start on spring. Also re the seeding, this is why I plan on waiting and was curious about temps, I am going to try to hold off about 3 more weeks which will be about 3 weeks after germination.

Z

Thanks so much for the help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by zspeed130; 09-27-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I should mention, pending advice I am leaning towards the df (quinclorac) as I already have it on hand and it seems better for total kill (insert laugh track here) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspeed130 View Post
Ok I hope one of you gents checks back (others feel free tj chime in!). After much searching and reading MY HEAD HURTS!

Looks like if I want the triclopyr I need ester 2 or tzone. No problem there. Probable the ester 2 because I know I can get it now and maybe do a few small tests. Would you add carfetnizone or quinclorac? Rounding it seems like 1oz/1000 on either primary product . I used surfactant for the first time last fall and have always used it since so that will be no different. I am totally new to mixing and it makes me a bit nervous , but after success jumping off the bridge with tenacity and another educated guess I took I am happy to experiment in an educated way. When mixing do you normally use the label rate of both products? If not what rate would you recommend on either the df75 or quicksilver? Looks like 1oz/acre on the Q, .367 oz/1000 on the df75. If using the df75 do I add the methylated seed oil and surfactant and all at prescribed rates?

Sorry to be such a bother. The help of lawnsite is priceless. If I had more time on this I would just run some tests but I really need to at least get some decent results and would like a head start on spring. Also re the seeding, this is why I plan on waiting and was curious about temps, I am going to try to hold off about 3 more weeks which will be about 3 weeks after germination.

Z

Thanks so much for the help!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are using a 3-way as a base mix that at the bottom at it recommended rate. I spike that mix right 61% Triclopyr at 12 oz's an acre. I only use Quinclorac as a post emergent crabgrass control. It works great on violets but unsure what it does to new seedlings. I would experiment on a small area first and in your area spray the last available week you can.
Posted via Mobile Device