Register free!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When to start prevent apps, brown patch

What are some indicators that you use to start preventative apps of fungicide for brown patch in St Aug? We've had summer like temps but it will be cooling off into the 50's this weekend with highs in the 80's. I plan on starting apps next week. What is your plan?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you try the corn meal routine??? I'm not familiar with warm-season grasses and don't have fungal problems myself,,, but I hear from many other sources that corn meal will correct the pathogenic population in the turf??? Relying on "Fungicides" doesn't really help anyone according to the long time professionals who actually used them... Lots of people "Make Claims" but when you get right down to the nitty-gritty it is all smoke and mirrors...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I apply preventative fungicide to centipede/st aug lawns who have a history of large patch in the fall and spring. I normally get it down when soil temps reach 70 degrees or there about.

What is the corn meal thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I seen some brown patch in an over water area and days are 90 and nights are stll mi 70.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Why don't you try the corn meal routine??? I'm not familiar with warm-season grasses and don't have fungal problems myself,,, but I hear from many other sources that corn meal will correct the pathogenic population in the turf??? Relying on "Fungicides" doesn't really help anyone according to the long time professionals who actually used them... Lots of people "Make Claims" but when you get right down to the nitty-gritty it is all smoke and mirrors...
Smallaxe, I seen you mention Corn Meal and post on the organic forum multiple times. Are you gearing towards the Organic way? We are using organics on all our vegetables and I would like to gear our new Zoysia towards being dependent on Organics rather than chemicals. This first year I'm going to stick to a mild blended Lesco and plenty of organic materials. I would love to have that lush and healthy organic lawn, I know it takes time and work though. I plan on composting 2-3 times a year, so hopefully that will be a start!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My organic activity is limited to compost, Milorganite, overseeding, mulch mowing and spot spraying for the most part and I personally have no fungal issues to deal with...
I have heard over and over again that the corn meal activates certain microbes in the soil that negates the overpowering influence of the pathogenic fungi causing various diseases... So I really can't speak from experience, but it makes a lot more sense than trying to sterilize dirt,,, therefore I bring it up as a possible solution for those dealing with disease...
Drainage is a primary issue for all fungal diseases and a well structured soil drains better... organic activity in the soil builds structure so there is a Double Benefit from the corn meal, which also makes sense to me...
It would be nice to hear real success stories from This Forum, but so far only other sources have reported on corn meal...
Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ArTurf: there are some good people here from your part of the country who will be able to help you. I am a northerner who knows what conditions favor Rhizoctonia (Brown Patch) on cool season turf as well as what the signs and symptoms are. Those are the things you need to know for your area and turf types.

I find this talk about corn meal, particularly from someone who has not used it, to be laughable, irresponsible, and dangerously reckless. One thing leads to another, as it often does in our exchanges here on the forum, and all of a sudden we have a new homeowner with an expensive newly sodded yard ready to jump ship and rely on something from someone who a) does not take care of warm season turf and b) has not tried the "product."

Say what you will about what contributes to the conditions that favor brown patch - good luck reducing temperature and relative humidity with corn meal by the way - but the causal agent Rhizoctonia leads to the development of Brown Patch. Yes, cultural practices that reduce moisture at the level of the plant crowns, good drainage and soil with adequate air exchange, not applying nitrogen when weather conditions favor outbreaks of Brown Patch are helpful.

This corn meal must be some product. We have people claiming it prevents crabgrass germination, kills broadleaf weeds, and now prevents Brown Patch. If it was green, we could just install corn meal lawns instead of grass huh?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Listen to Foreplease. Using cornmeal as an effective preventative for fungal problems will not provide good results.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I understand the conditions that contribute to brown patch in warm season turf and I control them to the degree possible. Of course it still shows itself.

As always I feel there is more I can learn. Thanks for the info all.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

When to start prevent apps, brown patch

Is that corn meal "gluten free'?