Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Which to buy

Hey guy's i'm fixing to buy a walk behind today some of the yards i have just are way to steep for my z turn, ive never owned a walkbehind so thought's and which is the best deal of these please
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/4074946592.html

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bar/4063978045.html

This is the one i'm really leaning towards it's brand new never been used other than loading on the trailer and being put up, also he has came down to 4k and may be able to get it a little less http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/4084191019.html
Old 09-26-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

All three look like great options. I just got a 36 turf tracer with 10 hours for 3500. I think that scag 36 looks like a nice because its hydro drive. I would stay away from the belt drive and with the bigger cutter deck its a little more weight to jerk around. Those hydro mowers will be a lot more nimble and precise vs. a belt drive mower. As for that snapper a brand new unit with warranty is listed on the snapper website 4899 I am not positive but I don't think that the warranty is transferable. If you have the extra trailer space and cash I would go for the snapper with the larger floating deck for 4000. See if you could mow with it for a day mby with a down payment.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah im really leaning towards the snapper also and he told me the warranty was transferable from where he bought it im going to call today and confirm it, also i think i may be able to get it a little cheaper. and the 36 scag i like the idea of the t bar style and it's a bit smaller to get in more gates etc ..although i dont have but 1 gated area now and i just use my 21 on it very small.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

If your using it on hills the hydro is the way to go. Also the floating deck is a big time saver.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah i have 2 properties that is major hills and im currently having to push mow and weed eat the whole thing, one's so steep i have to wear kleets and the push mower trys to slide sideways down it haha so i'm hoping a walk behind will cure most of the back ache!! But ive also never even used a walk behind so i'm kinda clueless as to how to control them on hills of that sort and still be safe
Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could not get the small pictures of the 36 scag to load, but I like it. i'm a fan of controls that keep your hands inside the handles. if you are trimming near trees and briars the hands and forarms are protected better. plus when doing trim work along fences you don't rake your knuckles as much. plus, all my future walk behinds will have a floating deck. That all being said, my 44 is much more stable than my 36 on steep grades, bigger footprint I guess.
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Your best bet is to be like the girl who went out with the five fishermen?....She came back with a big red Snapper.

the 48 belt is listed in another ad for 2600 - his ads have been up for a month and a half at least. It was funny, but he would renew and have the 2900 ad right above the 2600 ad. You know there will be no warranty on Scags - not even the dealers can promise you that. That scag with the the stupid bar control would be a bear to handle on hills - you can't push down unless you want to haul a$$. Crazy design. Never should have hit the market. Makes me wary of any new Scag designs until they are tested by everyone else in the industry.

You better get it in writing that the warranty it x-ferable on the snapper or you might find out that its not when something breaks.

There is/or was, a 36 TTHP in K-vill in great shape for 3500. I almost got it, but opted to wait a little longer and see what else hits the CL for used mowers.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah i'm probably going to go with the snapper pro ive read nothing but good stuff so far on them and i'm fixing to call right now to the dealer he got it from and make sure the warranty will transfer, and it's funny you say that about the scag handles i was just thinking the same thing how well it would work pushing down and trying to keep track on one yard i have i swear it is a beast of a yard it's not just a hill it's built into a dang hill haha i looked in cookville area for the 36 tt didnt see it do you have a link to it by any chance?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Knoxville CL 36" TT
Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Must done be gone this is the only one i could find http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/4078723422.html

On a side note ive decided to get the snapper sw30 going to get it saturday, what part of east tn are you in rootytalbot im between knoxville and chattanooga "rhea county"