Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

550 trucks

Okey beat this to death on here I thanks for all the info. Now I am leaning going new...great deals on a few left over 2012 and 2013 trucks. My dealer here in town offers ford and dodge but says go ford. Now I am a Gm man but oh well.......one cant hurt..can it?? Anyway - dump beds. Aluminun or steel? I seen one fron crysteel called the deuce - dumps to the rear and the side. Anyone have or seen it? Also what length should I go with. Some are 9,11,12 ft. I realize axle measurements are part of the equation. I also want one that can open like a tailgate or latch on the top so I can spread when I need. I also want a "rock shoot" where we can control the flow of rock out the back. Fold down sides are nice but I have seeen a few issues from others that have them. So beds protect entire rear of cab, others do not. I have seen some scissor lifts, one cylinder, etc. Whats best. This truck most likely will stay around for a very long time so with breaking the bank but yet getting what we want is crucial.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a Crysteel steel landscape dump with tailgate/aluminum ramp combo, side door w/ladder and coal chute(s).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I say aluminum. Much lighter and costs only a little more. If you are doing salting or snow a steel bed will look like crap in a few yrs. Watching all the big companies around here they are all doing aluminum to increase capacity and lets them run a smaller rear for better mpg
Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agre with marek on this one aluminum is the way to go. 12 foot is a good length. When I priced them aluminum was 2 grand more then a steel. There is no repainting or rust issues.