Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo Trimmer Confusion

Quick question about echo trimmers...I am currently converting all of my trimmers over to echo. Is the t or s models better (worth extra $) over the regular 266 or 280. also the weight difference between the 266 and 280 is hardly anything so why not get more power for .1lb, right? Need help! Also no other suggestions on other brands, echo only. thanks
2004 toro 27 60" ZTR
1998 Great Dane 48" WB
2000 Snapper 42" Tractor
Redmax EB 7001
Redmax BCZ2500S
Stihl fs 55
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. I have never owned or operated the 280, have 2 266's. Love the 266, but given a choice, I would go with the 280 since there's virtually no weight difference--bought mine at an auction for about 30% of retail. My experience with the T vs S depends on how you like to run the engine. I am not a WOT operator and found it hard to keep the T turning the string head fast enough. At WOT, the T is strong-- takes more engine speed, but the line torque is there. I suppose I could have gotten use to the higher rpm needed, but decided to use the S gearbox. I had both--the T gearbox is the same as a curved shaft stick edger, and I bought one at an auction.

I'm sure Ed Hess will be giving his experience soon--he is a 265 (now 266) T believer, with a lot of hours and experience to back up his opinion.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltenslawncare View Post
Quick question about echo trimmers...I am currently converting all of my trimmers over to echo. Is the t or s models better (worth extra $) over the regular 266 or 280. also the weight difference between the 266 and 280 is hardly anything so why not get more power for .1lb, right? Need help! Also no other suggestions on other brands, echo only. thanks
Depends on the main use of it.
If your just doing weekly and EOW maintenance, the 266 or even the smaller 225 would be fine. If you plan on doing a lot of nasty clean ups,then the bigger models may be worth it, but if touching up edging at half throttle is sufficient get the 266. I've had no issues with mine, and it's cleared some pretty heavy growth, cleared tons of Ivey, countless tree saplings, and a bird.
I couldn't imagine needing a stronger line trimmer and not making the jump to a walk behind or a brush mower.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The fact that Echo purchased Shindaiwa almost entirely because of their string trimmer reputation and market share should tell you who makes the best trimmer. I like Echo for blowers but forget about the string trimmers.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-28-2013, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a 280T seems like I had to run the engine wide open all the time. Went back with the 266S and 105 line seems like a faster response , I can move faster with the 266s.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have had good experience with the 265/266 series with T gear head. For the life of me I don't see the problem with tht T gearbox runni g to slow. I started running red Armour and things are going well. I guess we got about 10 with different ages. Some have to be 5-6 years old. The real good thing is some parts can be changed with the 261series. And most imortant these units have adjustable carb. If they move away from 2 stroke or add efi we are going to buy enough old models to last us years. And all of ours have coil shafts, never had one break and they run smooth....just lube them yearly.