Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

general question

all of us own a landscaping bussiness which cut lawns weed whach muclch and plow snow but do all of you know about seeding and how to make a customers lawn look greener if a customer were to ask you how to make there lawn look greener or can you seed there lawn would you do it or refer them to a seeding company... me personally i dont know to much about seeding and making a lawn look greener but id love to learn any help ????
Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its great u want ti learn first the ins and outs of seeding, but first consider this, there is usually a reason why the turf needs to be reseeded. Be it poor maintenence, lack of water, neglect , new homeowner, grub damage etc. Whatever the reason try and figure this out first so that corrective actions can be made , and then seed. you will have better success and a happier customer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

but thats the thing how do how do i figure out what the problem is i know how to know lawns estimate i just wanna be able to answer questions about my customers lawn when they ask any help i would greatly appreciate it
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to 'understand' anything,,, is to be able to understand the basic principles of an issue...

The Simple Basic Concepts Are:
The seed has to soak up water... the seed has to receive air... the seed may or may not dry out a few times before it is ready to germinate... grass seed puts out a root 'first' so it may germinate on the surface of the ground, but is generally better to have 'cover'...

From that basic information one may understand this scenario:
Seed can settle down under the dead brown grass clippings and germinate into those dead brown grass clipping and grow,,, but if not then you may have to scrape up the clippings , sow your seed,, and put the clippings back down...

Lots of variations can be undertaken as long as you stick to the basic principles of sowing seed...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

as far as putting fert and seed down in the spring to get a better lawn due to lack of water and brown spots do you put fert down first then seed or the other way around and do you put them both down the same day
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

and when do you have to aerate ?? sorry for all the questions just curios
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickz123 View Post
but thats the thing how do how do i figure out what the problem is i know how to know lawns estimate i just wanna be able to answer questions about my customers lawn when they ask any help i would greatly appreciate it
The basic issues of turf problems here is the moisture/air ratio of the soil... I have some lawns in which the air is pounded out of the soil with excessive daily irrigation,,, while at the same time I have sandier soils that have so much air and so little water that the root zone is always in sustenance mode...

Once the moisture/air ratio is worked out then you look at CEC,,, for the availability of the nutrients added to the grass...

With a little effort we can all begin to think about plants as living things... once we provide the best habitat for grass that we can,,, then it all makes sense...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickz123 View Post
and when do you have to aerate ?? sorry for all the questions just curios
Aeration is for 3 basic functions:

1.) Relieve soil compaction or living thatch...
2.) Get amendments/ferts into the root zone...
3.) Till up bad areas that need to be reseeded(not a seedbed of 3" holes spaced 4" apart)

In other words aerate IF necessary, but only when it is safe to do so... Heat/drought of Summer is NOT a safe time...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Sponsor

Unless you have a basic knowledge of soil structure and composition I recommend taking some courses either on line or in person to better know this industry. With so many different variables to take into consideration you would be better served to have formal schooling. That way you will have a better chance at succeeding in this industry. Plain and simple.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Unless you have a basic knowledge of soil structure and composition I recommend taking some courses either on line or in person to better know this industry. With so many different variables to take into consideration you would be better served to have formal schooling. That way you will have a better chance at succeeding in this industry. Plain and simple.
easy-lift guy
If 'formal education' actually taught the basic principles then discussed the 'many variations' of the subject matter,,, I would agree... but formal education doesn't do that,,, and this isn't complicated at all...