Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sod pricing

What do you guys charge to put down sod? I have 1350 sq ft of sod to put down. Getting it for $.40 per sq ft. Never priced it for a customer before. Any help appreciated

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge triple the cost of a pallet which is 504 sq. ft. here. That include's the cost of the sod and all of prep. This may seem high but after you prep the ground, lay the sod and water it all, it's very fair. Laying sod is hard work, don't be afraid to charge for it.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sod pricing

Ok thanks for the advice

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sod pricing

Now do you triple the cost of a pallet for every pallet you use?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, in your situation that would be $1620.00 + tax + delivery. (if the sod was delivered) I would have to figure some kind of delivery charge for myself if i had to get it, 2 1/2 pallet's = 1200 Lb's.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's the access like? What's the prep like? I'm paying the same and I get 1.25/1.5 per sf
Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sod pricing

It's fairly flat. Old garden beds she wants me to tear out. Sod is an option I gave her because she wants grass.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it the same 1,350 square feet as the big job you asked about in this thread? Based on your age and type of questions you are asking I would encourage you to not pursue this job.

Chances are they already got a price they did not like from someone with more equipment and experience. Ignoring the risks of what could go wrong, it sounds as if they may hope you can come through for a lot less money.

You may be a great guy and hard worker. My remarks are not meant to suggest anything to the contrary. It would be smarter, though, to get some experience with smaller, less complicated jobs.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Is it the same 1,350 square feet as the big job you asked about in this thread? Based on your age and type of questions you are asking I would encourage you to not pursue this job.

Chances are they already got a price they did not like from someone with more equipment and experience. Ignoring the risks of what could go wrong, it sounds as if they may hope you can come through for a lot less money.

You may be a great guy and hard worker. My remarks are not meant to suggest anything to the contrary. It would be smarter, though, to get some experience with smaller, less complicated jobs.
I have alot of experience with laying sod. I just never priced it. I dont want to hang myself out to dry and i have contacted my cousin to help me with the bid. He is in the same type of business. I have no problem with doing this job. I have a bobcat to pull the larger bushes and clear big gardens, A gator utility vehicle to prevent wheeling all of the leftovers in the back yard out to the trailer. I am positive this lady has not gotten a price from anyone else because she just come back to the country after being away for a year. I have cut her lawn for a year now and she is a great customer.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

wow...maybe its the long grow season, fast growth rate, or cheap illegal labor...pallet of grass st agustine is 95-115, bermuda about 100-145 depending on variety, and zoysia is 145-200 depending on what hybrid you get there too...thats for 450 sq ft per pallet...ususally $40-60 per pallet to lay...delivery is flat $40 and sometimes free if 10+ pallets