Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Huh?

When did "pot smoker" become a protected class?
Most states protect the rights of cigarette movers as well. It is not legal in those states to discriminate against them case of hiring or firing.
Im not sure if only certain states have these laws yet for the medical marijuana card holders. I read a case about the card holder suing in Arizona for being discriminated against. This medical card law is not a great deal for an employer because it creates a very grey area, IMO.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I know of no law that states a company cannot have a zero tolerance policy. The "grey area" could easily be covered in the company handbook, even certain prescription drugs or classes of drugs are included because while they may very well be legally obtained and used for legitimate purposes, they can impair the user and risk their safety and the safety of those around them. If they have a medical marijuana card, just don't hire them because you found a "more qualified applicant".
Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or......just hire latinos.....

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DVD funny you say that. We hire everyone regardless of race, which should be an obvious thing. But I will just say this, the people I have more issues with I.e "no more work with this guy" or showing up late, basically being catty, are not my American guys which will probably surprise people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ain't it nice having these druggies around? Why, I'd hire them over a hard working illegal immigrant any day!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
DVD funny you say that. We hire everyone regardless of race, which should be an obvious thing. But I will just say this, the people I have more issues with I.e "no more work with this guy" or showing up late, basically being catty, are not my American guys which will probably surprise people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Meant to say DVS, but DVD is pretty funny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I never heard of a car acccident caused from the driver being under the influence of marijuana.
here's one close to me.

http://www.redbluffdailynews.com/ci_15585779?source%253Dmost_viewed.20F88DA3D7D369F5BB70F372987EAE1F.html
I didn't have to search hard, she was my granddaughter's teacher. Note the fellows last name friend.

[quote]
If you're really concerned then the answer is easy. Stop hiring Americans. Most Latinos do not even smoke cigarettes. And very very very few are pot smokers. Once again another Problem solved by super duper looper Andrew Hardscape.

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

As I stated above, look at the fellows last name, yup he's Mexican, by the way, before you tell me that I am biased, all of my grand kids are half Mexican.

I don't know if this is regional or not but we have the Mexican cartel growing weed and cooking crank by the bus load in our little piece of the rock.

Of all of the guys that I have hired and fired in around 40 years, the Mexicans, blacks, Indians and whites all shared the same traits when it came to stealing, no show, trouble making etc.

None are better than the other, they are all humans.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think personal stance on marijuana is irrelevant. Call your insurance agent to see what you need to do to be covered by them, and then call your attorney to have him make sure you do that legally in a way that won't come back and bite you. Done.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Crap, post count going backwards again.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice and the mods delete it....go figure. I never said I approve of using any mind altering substance while on the job. The problem is that it can stay in your system for 30 days or more. They need to find a way to test actual current intoxication similar to a blood alchohol level. There is no difference in someone using there legal prescribed medical marijuana on there own time then someone prescribed any legal narcotic pain med. What they do on there time is there business and no one else's.
And by the way DVS, the author of that post is noted in the top left hand corner. Why would you jump to that conclusion? Because pot heads are dumb? And did I mention that I don't use it? It doesn't appeal to me but it doesn't bother me if someone chooses to. Its absolutely harmless. And they have been trying to get the word out for years but unfortunately the federal government wont allow any kind of pro medical advertising on TV. Your only allowed to hear there "thruth"