Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Sub
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
The Maruyama doesn't seem to be available anymore, unless I'm overlooking it on their site, all they list are manual and battery sprayers. The Solo seems to be hit/miss available too...
Look up the Maruyama MS0741 sprayer or Solo 433. BTW, Solo upgraded their engine from an in house design 2 cycle to the Honda GX 25 4 cycle engine. More power and less noise.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've found the Solo online now... any thoughts on a Hudson, particularly Hudson 18537... Amazon.com has it for over $200 cheaper than the Solo. But is it a case of "get what you pay for"?

I guess what is on Maruyama is the same thing, but it shows a cart option for it. http://maruyama-us.com/products/spra...rayers/ms0741/
Old 09-29-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will need to service piston packing, plunger cups and regulator seals on an annual basis. Having said that, both Solo and Maruyama have the facility of shipping you the necessary parts to perform that service. I do not see a detalied parts breakdown or price list for those parts for the Hudson. The Hudson is a Chinese counterfeit of the Solo sprayer. I will support Germany or Japan before I support China.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maruyama does make a cart option for the truly leisurely. However, anything on wheels is a burden when used on inaccessible lawns.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks... I agree with you on that. I didn't know that about Hudson. I'm leaning toward the Solo. I noticed on your thread with the boom that you stated you use two regulators. Is one the factory one that's shown, one of the regulators you are talking about?

And is this boom similar to what you made?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Solo-490...item5d4441a7e5

Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No and no. What you see on the stock wand is just a pressure gauge reading in Metric. The regulator I use is capable of taking the incoming pressure of 400 PSI down to 40 PSI, which is what you want when operating Teejet AI nozzles. The Solo boom does not take Teejet nozzles and there is no mechanism to prevent drip after shutoff. That is why I rolled my own from the wet boom nozzle bodies and PVC pipe.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
No and no. What you see on the stock wand is just a pressure gauge reading in Metric. The regulator I use is capable of taking the incoming pressure of 400 PSI down to 40 PSI, which is what you want when operating Teejet AI nozzles. The Solo boom does not take Teejet nozzles and there is no mechanism to prevent drip after shutoff. That is why I rolled my own from the wet boom nozzle bodies and PVC pipe.
Does anyone make an aftermarket boom? Being as I have basically no clue, I'd be somewhat leery myself about fabricating one. I consider myself very hands on and capable, but when it comes to something that if it doesn't work right, potential lawsuits or the DEP could become involved...
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No. Really simple. Space 3 or 4 of those nozzle bodies 20" apart. Then hold 18" above ground. I would also practice with water and marking dye until laying down swaths that are overlapped into the next one comes automatically. DEP gets involved if there are complaints about burned up lawns or drift killing everything downwind of your job site. Two issues that this regulated boom reduce the risk of.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

9k - 21k sq ft lawns? Boy...that really lends itself to a ride on even though you have ruled it out. That is sweet spot turf size for a ride on.

You could pick up a used PG Mag for probably $2k or a little more. Your back will thank you for not having to lug a backpack sprayer around, esp for those size lawns where you would have to refill a bp 3-4 times just to cover a lawn. Backpacks IMO are good for 4k sq ft lawns or less.

Also, don't get a skid for those bigger lawns. Backbreaking and will take you forever compared to a ride on.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13