Old 09-28-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately its all about the bottom dollar
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
Around here it's not the yuppies, it's the pillheads who needs $30 to get a quick fix. Then the people wonder why they don't show back up next week to cut.
I think you're exactly right.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 09-29-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
Unfortunately its all about the bottom dollar
Posted via Mobile Device
Is it always about the bottom dollar? Not always. Someone said When people get laid off from their $9 an hr job and down to their last dime there comes a bright idea- I can cut grass.
The thing is when some get laid off and down to their last dime they will do what ever it takes to support the family and pay the mortgage payment, do they come up with the idea of cutting grass because they like to go out in the heat and humidity or just because they want to intentionally lowball someone or hurt the bigger outfits, I seriously doubt it.
The truth be told most of us here that complain about these guys can afford to take a hit once in a while and not have it hurt us. Personally I prefer to take the hit and see the guy working rather than pay for his welfare and food stamps, at least he is earning his money.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 600 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Let it go they will be back. When they other guy stops showing up. Customer Service is were they will be lacking. Providing great customer service can not be replaced. I have also had this happen but because I provide great customer service like showing up when I am suppose to, keeping the customer on the same day not Monday one week friday the next and returning there phone calls a quickly as possible go a long way. I try to make every customer feel like there lawn is just as important as the big commercial property down the road and this goes a long way. Low ballers never last.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't charge extreme prices but I don't charge low either.
I am pretty fair with my prices. A small approximately 1/4 acre lot I do for 35 + Tax.
There are a lot of people in my area that will cut that same lot for 20-25. I have given people bids of $35 and they said the last guy charged 30 with no tax? Well I am going to do a better job and I am legal. You can be a little more expensive IF you stand above the rest.

Answer your phone when they call, make that property stand out, and take that extra step to keep them smiling whenever you pull up. They will keep you until you quit.

I never try to get rich off of one job. I did a job the other week leveling off a yard and seeding. The owner told me someone else quoted them $9,500. I quoted $2,200 and 5 hours later I profited 900$. That is good money to me, I would have felt like a criminal if I made 8,200! The start of this thread 150$ isn't horribly high, but I am not surprised you lost it. an hour and a half worth of work should be around $120 like mentioned. That's over a dollar a minute. I have gone to low on jobs whenever I started, but I kept them and I kept there price the same. I made them look great every time, and I found ways and bought equipment to get it done faster. Than when I raised the price on them - I didn't loose any. Some of them told me they would remain loyal to my company and wouldn't consider switching.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

It doesn't matter. I just like cutting grass ..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The race to the bottom is a race you can't win anything but many are a part of it. Choose to be in the race to the top. As far as saying you're ripping someone off with a higher price maybe your superior service (not just stripes on the lawn) is worth it and justifiable especially if they agree to the rate. But you better deliver each and every time. Ripping off is promising something, collecting payment, and NOT delivering or exceeding on those promises. And that can be at a low or high price. The "ripoffs" I've seen around my area have been the ones who collect on a usually cheap rate up front and fail to provide service. That's ripping off. The ones who charge higher and EXCEED expectations are in no way ripping off. Their just doing it better than everyone and having a successful business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The problem is many draw unemployment and mow for cash , while we are doing it legit, paying taxes , running a business.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
The race to the bottom is a race you can't win anything but many are a part of it. Choose to be in the race to the top. As far as saying you're ripping someone off with a higher price maybe your superior service (not just stripes on the lawn) is worth it and justifiable especially if they agree to the rate. But you better deliver each and every time. Ripping off is promising something, collecting payment, and NOT delivering or exceeding on those promises. And that can be at a low or high price. The "ripoffs" I've seen around my area have been the ones who collect on a usually cheap rate up front and fail to provide service. That's ripping off. The ones who charge higher and EXCEED expectations are in no way ripping off. Their just doing it better than everyone and having a successful business.
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't say $150 was a ripoff, I said 8,200 for pushing soil and spreading seed for 5 hours was. I said I am not surprised he lost an hour and a half worth of work for $150. As it was posted, all someone had to do was say $120.

But than again, thinking back. If it is monthly, or as needed - I would have bid $250 2 acres that has not been cut in a month during the Spring? Yikes.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
The problem is many draw unemployment and mow for cash , while we are doing it legit, paying taxes , running a business.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lego, we posted at about the same time so my comment had nothing to do with you. I'm just now reading what you said as you had me confused.
Posted via Mobile Device