Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
Lego, we posted at about the same time so my comment had nothing to do with you. I'm just now reading what you said as you had me confused.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahh I see the times Sorry

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

It doesn't matter. I just like cutting grass ..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

That will happen, unfortunately. And @Jaybrown is right, he's going to be out of business soon at that price. I have flat 1/3 acre residentials that pay $45 for a mow and trim. I can't see how anyone could make money doing 2 acres at that price.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Stay in touch with the owner. Sooner or later that $50 on demand bargain basement price won't be so pretty as the owner imagines it. I'm guessing it will probably be sooner.

Either that or - - - -
It is possible that this is some guy's idea of how to steal customers and once he gets them in his pocket the prices go up and the seasonal contracts come out.
I'm sure there are people who allow themselves to feel trapped by this sort of tactic and feel like they can't call their old service back.

So stay in touch with the owner send them a flyer inviting them to return and greeting cards for the holidays inviting them to return - - that sort of thing.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulMcCai View Post
Stay in touch with the owner. Sooner or later that $50 on demand bargain basement price won't be so pretty as the owner imagines it. I'm guessing it will probably be sooner.

Either that or - - - -
It is possible that this is some guy's idea of how to steal customers and once he gets them in his pocket the prices go up and the seasonal contracts come out.
I'm sure there are people who allow themselves to feel trapped by this sort of tactic and feel like they can't call their old service back.

So stay in touch with the owner send them a flyer inviting them to return and greeting cards for the holidays inviting them to return - - that sort of thing.
Holiday cards are great - I do it to everyone whom I service over the year, I always end up getting business back from a few of the ones whom I haven't done anything for in awhile.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Lost a job for next season already as i was told with the check that I would not be needed next year and how come I was RIPPING them off for the last three years with my price! I could not believe I was hearing this from him as I was taking care of his property and someone else has already offered to do it for HALF of what I had been doing it at.
I can not figure out how this guy is going to make any money unless his plan is to put everyone out of business and take a loss for the season or two until we can not afford to care of our properties and then he will raise his price.

Has anyone else seen start up try to do this in their town with under cutting and then trying to get smaller companies to fold?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not if you are running a legit business and trying to NET above the National poverty level. He said it had a pond and a steep ditch. The people were willing to pay $150 for years until lack of business sense came along.

Exactly what I was thinking, $150 for 2 acres and 3 man hours is not ripping some one off. Not even a little.

Rough field mowing in my area goes for $85 to $100 per acre. $150 for finish detail work and trimming/blowing is not out of line for 2.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesLanscaping View Post
Lost a job for next season already as i was told with the check that I would not be needed next year and how come I was RIPPING them off for the last three years with my price! I could not believe I was hearing this from him as I was taking care of his property and someone else has already offered to do it for HALF of what I had been doing it at.
I can not figure out how this guy is going to make any money unless his plan is to put everyone out of business and take a loss for the season or two until we can not afford to care of our properties and then he will raise his price.

Has anyone else seen start up try to do this in their town with under cutting and then trying to get smaller companies to fold?

It is a smart business plan.
Technically, while I work two jobs I could do it perfectly.
I don't want to though. I would love to put the 'mow for extra money, low ballers, and hacksters' out but I respect others that work as hard as me, pay sales tax, and are fully legit.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that was my fault...I chimed in that @ $85 an acre it would be about $170. So, $150 could be great price as none of us have actually seen the property to make a rational estimate and it could be a tricky mess, with a pond in the middle. I also wanted to kick-in the idea of the send a ballpoint pen with your phone number and a nice letter asking for the opportunity to bid on any real landscape work that they my need...and remind them that your door is always open if a landscaping question might arise. and to keep them on the christmas card list. There is nothing better than the call that they want you back because your service was so much better. Then, as long as they mind their p's and q's you keep them ... If not, it gives you the opportunity to make that phone call were you explain that they no longer meet your "good customer criteria" ... I love those calls ...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesLanscaping View Post

Folks like that are not worth wasting a minute of stress on. You'll always have those types.
Unless you start getting hit with a lot of them, then it might be time to re-evaluate your market and business ops.

Other wise one or a couple folks like that............. don't worry about!
When you have a customer list of any size you'll have that.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I find the price too high , price too low, price just right threads interesting. I assume there is a hair stylist forum out there with the same debate. The high priced salons bashing super cuts because they are hacks, and they have to charge more because of more over head etc... and they do a better job. Irony is most people on this thread bashing lower ballers probably go to super cuts. Boils down to level of service and what you are willing to pay for. Super cuts are fine for some, but others prefer salons. Both still cut hair