Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesLanscaping View Post
Lost a job for next season already as i was told with the check that I would not be needed next year and how come I was RIPPING them off for the last three years with my price! I could not believe I was hearing this from him as I was taking care of his property and someone else has already offered to do it for HALF of what I had been doing it at.
Was it purely over price? If you were "ripping them off" then maybe you didn't make the service worth the price you wanted? Maybe this next person is going to give the same service for a lesser price (not saying they're right for lowering a price and will probably be in trouble next year).

Listen this is not a personal attack just something to think about. Did you ask them why they felt "ripped off"? If so what was their answer? If they seriously just wrote a check, told you to buzz off, and then slammed the door in your face maybe you possibly weren't living up to your end of the deal.....? You've got to give every effort to make it so a person can't go without your service. I'm far from perfect on this and lawn mowing only is a volume game. Become that company who can give them complete top notch full property maintenance and they don't need to look elsewhere for anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I find the price too high , price too low, price just right threads interesting. I assume there is a hair stylist forum out there with the same debate. The high priced salons bashing super cuts because they are hacks, and they have to charge more because of more over head etc... and they do a better job. Irony is most people on this thread bashing lower ballers probably go to super cuts. Boils down to level of service and what you are willing to pay for. Super cuts are fine for some, but others prefer salons. Both still cut hair
Absolutely!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
Folks like that are not worth wasting a minute of stress on. You'll always have those types.
Unless you start getting hit with a lot of them, then it might be time to re-evaluate your market and business ops.

Other wise one or a couple folks like that............. don't worry about!
When you have a customer list of any size you'll have that.
This too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Let the guy cut cheap. But check back now and then and look at the job he's doing. Once you see that he's not showing up, drop in and have a chat with the owner, pointing out that a scruffy job doesn't look good. Remind him that you gave good service for two years, and let him know that you can resume the old contract.

The key in this business is to develop that rapport with your customers.

On the other hand, if you are consistently getting badly lowballed, it's time to go watch the other guy in operation. Maybe he knows something you can learn.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, on a less serious side, tell the lowball landscaper you got 6-8 lawns he can cut...and you will pay him cash on friday! Handle the billing and go play Golf on Friday! Heck, you can make $50 a lawn for staying home! Just go pick-up 300 more accounts! LOL

It's very hard not to be emotionally attached to an accounts that you sweet, and sometimes bleed for, to be told "not good enough...or...whatever" It ain't you man...it's the clueless dirtbags dragging our profession down.

I'd have a real hard time not having a talk with him and explaining the going rates for service ... and maybe other things too!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
I don't charge extreme prices but I don't charge low either.
I am pretty fair with my prices. A small approximately 1/4 acre lot I do for 35 + Tax.
There are a lot of people in my area that will cut that same lot for 20-25. I have given people bids of $35 and they said the last guy charged 30 with no tax? Well I am going to do a better job and I am legal. You can be a little more expensive IF you stand above the rest.

Answer your phone when they call, make that property stand out, and take that extra step to keep them smiling whenever you pull up. They will keep you until you quit.

I never try to get rich off of one job. I did a job the other week leveling off a yard and seeding. The owner told me someone else quoted them $9,500. I quoted $2,200 and 5 hours later I profited 900$. That is good money to me, I would have felt like a criminal if I made 8,200! The start of this thread 150$ isn't horribly high, but I am not surprised you lost it. an hour and a half worth of work should be around $120 like mentioned. That's over a dollar a minute. I have gone to low on jobs whenever I started, but I kept them and I kept there price the same. I made them look great every time, and I found ways and bought equipment to get it done faster. Than when I raised the price on them - I didn't loose any. Some of them told me they would remain loyal to my company and wouldn't consider switching.
Your math is off. He said it was an hour and a half for 2 guys which comes out to $40/ man hour @ $120. So many on this site talk about the magic number of $60/ man hour then tell this guy he's high on his price working at $50/ man hour.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Your math is off. He said it was an hour and a half for 2 guys which comes out to $40/ man hour @ $120. So many on this site talk about the magic number of $60/ man hour then tell this guy he's high on his price working at $50/ man hour.
I never go with $60 per man hour. That would mean 2 guys that take a half hour to do a lawn would be $60? $60 a man hour would get me laughed at. For 2 guys at an hour an a half I would bid it at probably $120-$125 and find ways to maximize my time. $60 per 2 men per hour would be more reasonable. I have had some where I am unhappy with my bid and some where I make out nice. No one is ever going to perfectly bid every job, I don't care how much you brag about your numbers on the internet.

And I said I am not surprised he lost this job. $50 is a different story though.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

It doesn't matter. I just like cutting grass ..
Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
Folks like that are not worth wasting a minute of stress on. You'll always have those types.
Unless you start getting hit with a lot of them, then it might be time to re-evaluate your market and business ops.

Other wise one or a couple folks like that............. don't worry about!
When you have a customer list of any size you'll have that.
True dat!!! Let them go and move on. Dwelling on it and trying to get customers back IMO is ridiculous. If you do go back it will most likely happen again. Find a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a secret.... Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone! "Lowballers" don't really exist! Really, how many of your accounts can "lowballers" take away? We are business owners, if you do not have enough business, OR, business sense to just let go of an account that does not want to pay you x amount of dollars for your work and wants to pay ABC landscaping x amount of dollars for their work... I have serious news for you.... You are not in Business nor are you a business owner... You are a clueless clown out mowing lawns for some crazy reason other than running a business. P.S ... This is not directed at anybody in particular... I am just so sick of people blaming their lack of business sense on "lowballers"
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

True dat, and the best part is if they do call back, it gets declined or the price goes up.
Posted via Mobile Device