Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Here is a secret.... Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone! "Lowballers" don't really exist! Really, how many of your accounts can "lowballers" take away? We are business owners, if you do not have enough business, OR, business sense to just let go of an account that does not want to pay you x amount of dollars for your work and wants to pay ABC landscaping x amount of dollars for their work... I have serious news for you.... You are not in Business nor are you a business owner... You are a clueless clown out mowing lawns for some crazy reason other than running a business. P.S ... This is not directed at anybody in particular... I am just so sick of people blaming their lack of business sense on "lowballers"

Its called Competition. Every business has it. TJ Max is a lowballer, Target is a lowballer, Walmart is a dirty lowballer. haha.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

It doesn't matter. I just like cutting grass ..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a customer who asked me for an estimate for removing a tree. It wasn't very big, so I gave him a great deal at $150. He called me the next day and said some other guy would do it for $50. I don't have a clue how you the other guy didn't lose money on that. Dump fees around here are (i think) $30, plus at least 3 man hours to do the job. Who wants to work for $3 an hour?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

you didn't add in gas.
He might be able to dump on his own property tough.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Gas would've been around $20-$25. Even if he did dump it on his property, I still can't see how he makes any money. My point of bringing it up is that low-ballers do more damage to themselves than to the industry by pricing so cheap. Around here, they attract all the PITA's which I like
Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

@lego walmart and amazon are my two favorite lowballers lol
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
Gas would've been around $20-$25. Even if he did dump it on his property, I still can't see how he makes any money. My point of bringing it up is that low-ballers do more damage to themselves than to the industry by pricing so cheap. Around here, they attract all the PITA's which I like
I agree completely.
I more or less meant if disposal is $30, he probably spent $25 in gas driving to get there, driving with a loaded truck, and the the mix used for chain saw. There is a very slight possibility that he made $5 bucks on that tree. Either that or he is just cutting it down, leaving everything there, and using the owners gas.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think $150 was a fair price. normally i would charge $100 for 2 acres but when you throw in the pond that has to be trimmed around and the ditch then $150 makes alot of sense.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
Is it always about the bottom dollar? Not always. Someone said When people get laid off from their $9 an hr job and down to their last dime there comes a bright idea- I can cut grass.
The thing is when some get laid off and down to their last dime they will do what ever it takes to support the family and pay the mortgage payment, do they come up with the idea of cutting grass because they like to go out in the heat and humidity or just because they want to intentionally lowball someone or hurt the bigger outfits, I seriously doubt it.
The truth be told most of us here that complain about these guys can afford to take a hit once in a while and not have it hurt us. Personally I prefer to take the hit and see the guy working rather than pay for his welfare and food stamps, at least he is earning his money.
Right on brother.I have a 2009 Ferris IZ3100 and 14' dump trailer.I have a 4 acre lawn so I needed something to cut down the time from my JD 425.Well my son becomes of driving age and is very mechanically inclined along with being very neat and military like with respect to adults.He was working at Auto Zone for $7.50/hr and decided to cut lawns to help with his college.He finally gets a few and give his notice at work.He makes in the $600-700 a week range btween mowing,some handy man work for a lawyer and taking care of 3 horses.Plus he only works 4 days a week.Whether he low balls or not --well he is not-- but has had a couple of guys with all lettered up trucks give him crap for not being a "Real LCO" .He even drove out to Ohio to buy a Toro Grandstand for more work that he got and has a friend working for him now.He is paying alot of his way through a 4 yr degree,making very good money and not killing himself.All I can say is anybody complaining about guys stealing work should get a life or find another line of business.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
I agree completely.
I more or less meant if disposal is $30, he probably spent $25 in gas driving to get there, driving with a loaded truck, and the the mix used for chain saw. There is a very slight possibility that he made $5 bucks on that tree. Either that or he is just cutting it down, leaving everything there, and using the owners gas.
The customer lives in my neighborhood so I know the guy hauled it away, and I'm pretty sure he would have had to use his own gas. At least, I know the customer, and I doubt that would have been an acceptable arrangement.