Register free!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sprayer pump not working

I get about half my lawns sprayed with pre emergent today, get home, and suddenly my pump will not work.

It's a high flo gold series 2.1 gpm pump.

I took it apart and checked all the wires and connections. Everything looks good. Fuse isn't blown. Tried a couple different batteries. It just all of a sudden will not work.

Anybody had problems with these pumps and know what might be going on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wiring problem due to corrosion from fertilizer is the most common problem. This is an electric pump from a ride-on sprayer, right? Take it off and clean up the wire ends; touch them to a battery. (Could be the switch.)
Also use a 12 volt test light or volt meter and make sure you have 12 volts at the switch and the wires that should connect to the motor. And check to make sure you have a good solid ground connection both at the motor and at the battery. Probably you have done all that.
Make sure the motor, nozzle, filter or tubing is not plugged...some electric pumps have a pressure-limit switch which cuts them out at 40 pounds pressure. Force some water through it backwards.

And use a volt/ohm meter to measure resistance across the motor terminal wires. Resistance should be almost zero ohms; if not, you may have an electrical open circuit inside the motor. If you don't feel like going further--get a new pump. They are about $60 at Tractor Supply Co.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Amazon
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Wiring problem due to corrosion from fertilizer is the most common problem. This is an electric pump from a ride-on sprayer, right? Take it off and clean up the wire ends; touch them to a battery. (Could be the switch.)
Also use a 12 volt test light or volt meter and make sure you have 12 volts at the switch and the wires that should connect to the motor. And check to make sure you have a good solid ground connection both at the motor and at the battery. Probably you have done all that.
Make sure the motor, nozzle, filter or tubing is not plugged...some electric pumps have a pressure-limit switch which cuts them out at 40 pounds pressure. Force some water through it backwards.

And use a volt/ohm meter to measure resistance across the motor terminal wires. Resistance should be almost zero ohms; if not, you may have an electrical open circuit inside the motor. If you don't feel like going further--get a new pump. They are about $60 at Tractor Supply Co.
I've never sprayed fertilizer out of this sprayer. I have sprayed Image, Certainty, and Stonewall out of it. Just now saw in the manual that it says to spray only liquids. Could those have messed the pump up even though I've only used it a handful of times? I've sprayed one tankful each of the image and certainty and 3 tankfuls of the stonewall. So that's five 15 gallon tankfuls of a WDG. Could that have messed the pump up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Never sprayed fertilizer out of it but I have been spraying WDG's and I just saw in the manual that it says to only spray liquids. I've only sprayed about 5 15 gallon tankfuls though. Could this have caused the problem?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

May be some gummed up WDG have plugged the pressure switch not letting the pump turn on.

Charles Cue
Old 09-28-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

first off what exactly is the sprayer you are spraying with? skid,backpack, or rider?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is an important point, Charles. Prodiamine, pendimenthalin and certain other pre-emergent products can settle out in a big way...potentially plugging up something important.
Does the pump seem to run but no flow comes out? Or does it remain stone cold without even the tiniest noise? Maybe they are internal valves like on a larger diaphragm pump. Allowing it to sit overnight or over the labor day weekend--perhaps not so good. Take it apart and clean it.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That is an important point, Charles. Prodiamine, pendimenthalin and certain other pre-emergent products can settle out in a big way...potentially plugging up something important.
Does the pump seem to run but no flow comes out? Or does it remain stone cold without even the tiniest noise? Maybe they are internal valves like on a larger diaphragm pump. Allowing it to sit overnight or over the labor day weekend--perhaps not so good. Take it apart and clean it.
Stone cold. Does nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
first off what exactly is the sprayer you are spraying with? skid,backpack, or rider?
It's a ride on made for an atv. I've got it mounted on the front of my toro grandstand.
Posted via Mobile Device