Register free!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Rain Bird Academy Boot Camp, Good/bad?

Hey guys, I currently only cut grass but would like to get into installing/servicing sprinklers. I know the best way to learn would be to work for someone for a few years but that is not an option for me. I am a school teacher who has my business on the side but would love to go full time someday doing sprinklers along with the mowing.

My question is, have any of you or your employees gone to these training classes? Are they worth taking a week off of work and spending money on a hotel and possibly airline tickets?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Better than nothing I guess .........
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsujammer View Post
Hey guys, I currently only cut grass but would like to get into installing/servicing sprinklers. I know the best way to learn would be to work for someone for a few years but that is not an option for me. I am a school teacher who has my business on the side but would love to go full time someday doing sprinklers along with the mowing.

My question is, have any of you or your employees gone to these training classes? Are they worth taking a week off of work and spending money on a hotel and possibly airline tickets?
Wow, this sounds strange coming from a professional educator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your not going to learn in a week what you need to know. Don't waste your money. Continue to build your lawn service and leave the irrigation to the pros. Its impossible for a small company to do both effectively, you just don't have the time.

Same can be said for the lone irrigation pro that has the idea he'll start adding lawn maintenance to his services. Then he runs into an irrigation job that will take a week +. Skip the lawn care that week? For some quick $$$. lol

Last edited by Sprinkler Buddy; 09-28-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Your not going to learn in a week what you need to know. Don't waste your money. Continue to build your lawn service and leave the irrigation to the pros. Its impossible for a small company to do both effectively, you just don't have the time.

Same can be said for the lone irrigation pro that has the idea he'll start adding lawn maintenance to his services. Then he runs into an irrigation job that will take a week +. Skip the lawn care that week? For some quick $$$. lol
I can not disagree more with what you said other than the part that you won't learn everything you need to know about irrigation in that one class. its only good for the basics

Nothing is going to teach you than hands on experience with the mistakes costing you $$$$$$.

Regarding being able to do Maintenance, irrigation, pest control, not only does a golf course superintendent does this but many many companies do this. If you do any kind of commercial maintenance, knowing to install and repair irrigation is a must.(its why you have employees doing the actual work)

The cities around me will send grounds maintenance employees to these classe, though many of them are local for them.

Knowledge is power. The question is why is he working in this field? I thought we paid our teaches really well......see, paid days off, only actually teach part of the year, pensions, health care.....really don't get me started.

John
Old 09-28-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
I can not disagree more with what you said other than the part that you won't learn everything you need to know about irrigation in that one class. its only good for the basics

Nothing is going to teach you than hands on experience with the mistakes costing you $$$$$$.

Regarding being able to do Maintenance, irrigation, pest control, not only does a golf course superintendent does this but many many companies do this. If you do any kind of commercial maintenance, knowing to install and repair irrigation is a must.(its why you have employees doing the actual work)

The cities around me will send grounds maintenance employees to these classe, though many of them are local for them.

Knowledge is power. The question is why is he working in this field? I thought we paid our teaches really well......see, paid days off, only actually teach part of the year, pensions, health care.....really don't get me started.

John
Firefighters, cops and now teachers want to be irrigators. What next, politicians ? Last thing we need is the president screwing with the irrigation controller at the White House.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Prez - "Hey, what's the red button on this controller for?"
Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post

John
"Its impossible for a small company to do both effectively", as in a one crew show. I know many professionals offer this service but they are often larger companies. Not the one man show, as the creator of this thread.

"knowing to install and repair irrigation is a must"
Repairs are a must I agree since we are often the ones that damage them but installs should be left to a true irrigation professional.

"Knowledge is power"! True that!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post

Repairs are a must I agree [B]since we are often the ones that damage them [B]
!
not with these you won't
http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com/
Posted via Mobile Device

Damn, that didn't work :hammerhead :
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
not with these you won't
http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com/
Posted via Mobile Device

Damn, that didn't work :hammerhead :
Little do you know! lol
Kind of hard to damage sprinkler heads if you know exactly where they are and can avoid them with the mower tiers when mowing with the Sprinkler Buddy installed on the sprinkler heads.

You might want to check out my latest video on YouTube to have a better understanding of my invention. I would post the link but I'm not allowed being I'm not currently a sponsor.