Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It relieves me to know that you are in good hands. A number of golf mechanics have bought into the zero contact no relief method of reel maintenance. I am not saying it won't work. It just does not work for lawn height bermuda and zoysia not cut every day. Most of the local shops here have bought into that or they think that backlapping and relief grinding is not needed since they put the reel on a $25,000 computerized spin grinder. Spin grinding is only for truing the reel back into a straight sided cylinder. Cutting edge maintenance is done with backlapping and relief grinding. When you have nothing better to do, read this, I am not pulling what I say out of my azz. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vhGKZKmYXb8tCQ

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it practical to install brackets and outfit the McLane mower with a Weihle roller? Sure seems like that would help it do a better job. I looked at the front view on their web site and saw the small wheels. I do not have a good understanding of what the back end rides on.

Bet the OP's customer never dreamed they would stir things up to this extent. We may be able to get that yard down to 1 1/2" yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greendoctor, if I understand this right you are relieved that the reel is relief ground?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Is it practical to install brackets and outfit the McLane mower with a Weihle roller? Sure seems like that would help it do a better job. I looked at the front view on their web site and saw the small wheels. I do not have a good understanding of what the back end rides on.

Bet the OP's customer never dreamed they would stir things up to this extent. We may be able to get that yard down to 1 1/2" yet.
The OP doesn't have anything close to what I've gotten myself into.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
It relieves me to know that you are in good hands. A number of golf mechanics have bought into the zero contact no relief method of reel maintenance. I am not saying it won't work. It just does not work for lawn height bermuda and zoysia not cut every day. Most of the local shops here have bought into that or they think that backlapping and relief grinding is not needed since they put the reel on a $25,000 computerized spin grinder. Spin grinding is only for truing the reel back into a straight sided cylinder. Cutting edge maintenance is done with backlapping and relief grinding. When you have nothing better to do, read this, I am not pulling what I say out of my azz. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vhGKZKmYXb8tCQ
This guy does things pretty old school with his tools and jigs. His reply was "the closest thing to 25,000 dollar grinder is thats half his salary".
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I think any kind of front roller would be an improvement over those silly caster wheel's. You can get a solid roller from Mclane but instead of spending money on those lightweight unit's people ought to get a better mower like Toro, Jac or JD. $500 seems to be pretty common for a used unit and that's a good price considering they cost close to $5000 new. Lot's of golf course's have them or you can look here.

http://www.turfnet.com/classifieds/c...ort_order=desc
Old 10-08-2013, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
This guy does things pretty old school with his tools and jigs. His reply was "the closest thing to 25,000 dollar grinder is thats half his salary".
If the blades are ground one at a time, then backlapped, then they are being relief ground. :
:: There is a grinder company based in England selling the No relief grind thing. I am not impressed with a mower that is totally dull and pulling at the grass in one week's time needing to go back to be reground at a shop. I can see a mower needing a backlap in 2 weeks and a full regrind in a year. The shops that spin grind only sell a lot of replacement McLane and Tru-Cut reels. Those jobs are not cheap either. Think around $500-600. A mower that is backlapped and not spin ground excessively can be on its original reel for a long time. Spin grind only and the reel lasts 2 years if you are lucky.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

The retired golf super at the lawn bowling green I treat described how his golf mechanic welded a Weihle roller to where the casters were supposed to be. It worked great. The other fault of the McLane reel mower is plastic wheels with a rubber skin on them. The rear of the mower has a chain driven roller that is the drive mechanism. When that is dropped on the ground by throwing a lever and the deadman belt clutch is engaged, the mower goes forward. Like a greensmower, the clip rate is matched to the travel speed. Simple, but highly effective. People that know their grass say that a McLane in good condition mows better than a Tru-Cut. Tru-Cut mowers will allow severe mismatches of travel speed and clip rate. The fact that there is no roller at all makes Tru-Cut mowers extremely sensitive to defects in the ground.

I am in the process of modifying a McLane so it has a front grooved metal roller and the side rear plastic wheels are replaced with a roller. Height adjustment will be via both the front and back. Micrometer bolts, not the lever held in place with a spring. There are places where I cannot get my Greensmaster into, but the stock McLane leaves much to be desired as far as the ability to track the ground and maintain a level cut. I already replaced the front casters with a concrete filled pipe roller, but the side rear wheels are garbage. They make it impossible to set a height and maintain it. The Greensmaster will cut a less than pool table flat lawn without leaving gouges, scalp lines or areas of thick grass in depressions.

Get that yard down to 11/2'? Sure can. Convert it to all KBG, put in a full irrigation system, and you have to be the one treating it. Not some $5 per 1000 outfit throwing urea. I still wonder how I would adapt to a cool season area. Mowing high and no irrigation is so foreign to me.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Man, if I could find a lawn as flat as that photo, I'd pay THEM to mow it.

Not everyone deals with the same types of lawns. Around here even a push mower would scalp the high spots when cut that low. A walk behind, or ZTR wouldn't just scalp - it would EXCAVATE. LOL

I gut most at 3". A few I drop lower. Depends on the lawn, terrain, grass, etc.
"Cut it shorter next time" generally equates to a cheap customer who thinks it will "last longer" between cuts. There's a 99.9% chance that this is the reason they want it cut that short.
Yup. I have to agree this is the most likeliest scenario.
21" Craftsman push
AH230 Shindaiwa Long Shaft Hedge Trimmer
AHS242 Shindaiwa Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
Two Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Two Stihl FS80R Grass Trimmers
SG20 Stihl Sprayer
Numerous Handtools
36" Wright Stander(Sold)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My mention of 1 1/2" was only a nod to the topic police. I know we're on another planet now.

The discussion about spin grinding and truing cone shaped reels merits a plug for becoming expert at adjusting the reel-to-bedkife evenly from side to side. Even small differences caused by someone with one hand much stronger than the other and an undeveloped sense of touch can, with daily adjustments, quickly cause reels to get pretty far out of shape.

Thank you for the explanation of how the rear drive works on the McLane, greendoctor. I am sure the modifications you are making will, as you say, make the machine track much better. I am having trouble understanding how or why HOC adjustments will be made via both the front and rear roller. Is that so that you will have a greater overall range of available HOC? I have only ever set height on machines where the rear roller is fixed. It can be difficult enough, sometimes, matching height from one side of the front roller to the other. I used to explain it as being like a bad haircut where one side gets cut too short, then the other side can only get fixed by making it too short, back and forth etc. With the roller adjustment at least you can keep adjusting back and forth without actually cutting anything too sort - but some days if you've had too much coffee or are thinking about something else it can take a few minutes.