Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Glad we agree. The worst chaos happens when someone moves here from a cool season area and thinks it is ok to mow bermuda or zoysia above 1" and with a rotary. What specifically happens relates to debris build up and diseases. A short canopy is less humid. I would be the nutcase maintaining colonial bent grass or 100% KBG with a reel in a cool season area.
CONGRATS GreenDoctor on 6000 posts!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
CONGRATS GreenDoctor on 6000 posts!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I second that. If anybody on LS has not learned soemething from greendoctor it is their own fault.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
Greendoctor, while I have to completely agree with you. That goes back to my whole point, that IMPORTANT details were left out of the original posters message. From my understanding, or at least push mowers I've owned, very few push mowers cut below 1". In fact, very few push mowers cut effectively, or in otherwise, provide a healthy cut for anything near 1". With that said, I would defiantly not recommend cutting at 1" with a rotary mower. I was trying to get the point through, that when you break down everything, a lot of grass performs exceptionally well when cut at a lower heights, especially particular grasses. If done the right way, and a healthy turf, you should not have thin or bare spots, just because a lawn is cut at 1 or 1.5" if it's cut the right way. Also, in no-way would I suggest going from 3" or higher to 1" over one cutting period from the get go. Like I mentioned earlier, the original poster left out many factors. Sun or shade, grass type, and as you mentioned, the type of mower. I was trying to help people understand that tall grass does not necessarily mean "healthy" grass, in fact it can cause the opposite. It's understood we wouldn't cut a lawn at 1" with a rotary mower, just as you said, in other words, I completely agree .
The bigger the mower deck, the cruder the cut. which is why I have caught some golf courses mowing their fairways with a tandem rotary system consisting of 20" decks driven by the tractor PTO. It still shreds the leaf tips and causes unnecessary disruption to the stolons of the bermuda.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
All season long, I have been cutting these peoples lawn at 3.0 inches.
All of a sudden they complain saying that its way to high and that they want it cut at 1.5 inches, so that it really shows that it was cut. I tell them the consequences of cutting to low.
The OP clearly states that he has explained the consequences of suddenly mowing cool season grass from 3" to 1.5". This guy did his job correctly and has every right to ask if he should walk away from a customer. The Customer is Always Right is being replaced with An Educated Customer is The Best Customer.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Totally agree. I spend a lot of time educating people. So they are an informed consumer. The ones not accepting that education/wanting things contrary to that education are the ones I part with. Someone else can provide what they want to their detriment.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't scalp it and wreck your mower. LOL I did it once to prove the same point and it didn't go over very well. Wish I had a picture of there faces while they watched the perimeter pass happen. It was priceless. I would never do it again.
2011 24' united enclosed trailer
2011 griffin dump trailer
2005 61'' ferris
2009 61'' ferris 3100
2010 36'' ferris hydro cut
2010 48'' ferris walk
2-2013 61'' snapper pro walk
Echo blowers and whips
Turfco aerator with sulky

Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
The OP clearly states that he has explained the consequences of suddenly mowing cool season grass from 3" to 1.5". This guy did his job correctly and has every right to ask if he should walk away from a customer. The Customer is Always Right is being replaced with An Educated Customer is The Best Customer.
Exactly right. Person protesting the most has not read the original post carefully.

Also: there is no turf that would not scalp by changing the cutting height from 3" to 1 1/2" in one cut, something BlazersandWildcats2009 did finally acknowledge recently.

Agree with greendoctor too.

This has gotten absurd.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my experience the customers who make requests like the OP stated are ones that have nothing better to do with their time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He still believes the ground under ANY species is pefectly flat and will allow an extra short mowing without damage. He has no idea of the work involved in topdressing and leveling that allow for those short mowings. The average lawn in any state, any species of grass and any soil composition will unlikely tolerate mowing of less than 2". That's fact and knowledge that comes with experience. But you go ahead and continue to pontificate about things you know nothing about from your stack of business books. Meanwhile the rest of us that do this for a living will continue doing what is right for the grass which oddly enough makes the customers want to give us money. Go figure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
He still believes the ground under ANY species is pefectly flat and will allow an extra short mowing without damage. He has no idea of the work involved in topdressing and leveling that allow for those short mowings. The average lawn in any state, any species of grass and any soil composition will unlikely tolerate mowing of less than 2". That's fact and knowledge that comes with experience. But you go ahead and continue to pontificate about things you know nothing about from your stack of business books. Meanwhile the rest of us that do this for a living will continue doing what is right for the grass which oddly enough makes the customers want to give us money. Go figure.
Posted via Mobile Device
BOOOOOOM!
Posted via Mobile Device