Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
http://www.penningtonseed.com/Learn-...Mowing-Heights

I tried to find a pop up book for you. This is geared more towards homeowner questions so you should be able to follow along. Notice the only grasses below 2" are southern types. Types you wont find in Long Island or even much farther north than the Carolinas.
Much as I agree with you, OP was Long Island, Blazers is in TX with his zoysia sod.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Much as I agree with you, OP was Long Island, Blazers is in TX with his zoysia sod.
No probs. I know where he is. I know where the OP is and I am quite sure which types of grass grow best where.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I cut lower than 2.5 it takes me longer because I have to be careful so I don't scalp it into oblivion. I would tell them the consequences, and tell them you charge a little extra when mowing less than 2.5 inches or whatever makes sense to you. I don't see the point of turning them away unless it's hurting your equipment or not worth your time financially.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Totally agree. I spend a lot of time educating people. So they are an informed consumer. The ones not accepting that education/wanting things contrary to that education are the ones I part with. Someone else can provide what they want to their detriment.
Do you have a web site?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing to keep in mind is that it reflects you at he same time

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
The thing to keep in mind is that it reflects you at he same time
This is exactly how i look at it. I got in this industry to maintain awesome landscapes, not scalp a yard down for $30 and say the hell with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
This is exactly how i look at it. I got in this industry to maintain awesome landscapes, not scalp a yard down for $30 and say the hell with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
He can always replace the magnetic signs and rename his company. Instant plausible deniability. Wasn't me, must of been some other lawn guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. I also will not be caught on a lawn that is a thatchy overgrown mess either. I was at a zoysia lawn today. It will not be 5" thick after next week. Green and at the correct height of cut or I am somewhere else. No scalp marks or frayed tips either. St Augustine is never below 31/2". Don't care if it is supposedly a dwarf. Dwarf just means it does not double its height in one week. If the OP were talking about bent grass or a mix of KBG, fine fescue and rye. Those grasses can be mowed lower, but with the right mower and better control over growing conditions than is normal.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738

Last edited by greendoctor; 10-05-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Agreed. I also will not be caught on a lawn that is a thatchy overgrown mess either. I was at a zoysia lawn today. It will not be 5" thick after next week. Green and at the correct height of cut or I am somewhere else. No scalp marks or frayed tips either. St Augustine is never below 31/2". Don't care if it is supposedly a dwarf. Dwarf just means it does not double its height in one week. If the OP were talking about bent grass or a mix of KBG, fine fescue and rye. Those grasses can be mowed lower, but with the right mower and better control over growing conditions than is normal.
I just took on 6 fresh Jamur yards. 2 months old and got buzzed to 2" by a 60" rotary. I showed them a few passes with my McLane and they were sold. My spray guy can heal the scabs and I can take care of the rest. High end yards at 300 to 550 a month each. These will be my babies until I get a few guys up to reel speed. You got me worried now about my fancy bush hog. Is it really worth it for the greensmaster you spoke about? I got to work with what I got for now. My McLane hasn't paid for itself yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
While I might be far from a landscaper, I know at least a little code of ethics when it comes to business.

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
You're far from any kind of businessman and the above quote, isn't even an ethic. It's just something that was made up by a person in business, who lacked a true managerial skill and was unable to deal with customer complaints.

You come into a forum of professionals and experienced businessmen and try to teach us about business. If you truly were a member of the elite class, you wouldn't have the time or desire to bother with us little peons of the business world.

Now go away.