Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Meta-Tag Keywords

Can someone give me an example of how to put keywords in your meta- tag keywords for your website?

In my admin. theirs a box to include keywords. What is the correct way to do this?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
What is the correct way to do this?
This is one of those easy, time-saver pieces of advice: Don't bother. Due to easy, rampant abuse by keyword spammers, the value of the tag completely died over a decade ago. On the flip side, amusingly enough, a couple of the search engines (Bing, most notably) now use it only to identify junk sites. It also has value if you want a very simple way to see what your competitors are targeting.

Since you've now saved that time, I'd recommend optimizing Title tags and, if you don't want search engines creating the data for you, filling out your Meta Descriptions tag.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
This is one of those easy, time-saver pieces of advice: Don't bother. Due to easy, rampant abuse by keyword spammers, the value of the tag completely died over a decade ago. On the flip side, amusingly enough, a couple of the search engines (Bing, most notably) now use it only to identify junk sites. It also has value if you want a very simple way to see what your competitors are targeting.

Since you've now saved that time, I'd recommend optimizing Title tags and, if you don't want search engines creating the data for you, filling out your Meta Descriptions tag.
How do you write the "Meta Descriptions tag", is their any special methods one needs to use?

Thanks for the advise above.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No problem. If you look at how Google has indexed your site, you'll see what I mean by their defaulting to your content (or worse, if there is no real content) to describe your page. Hit Google and search...

site:sprinklerbuddy.com

To fix those issues, here's one resource:
http://moz.com/learn/seo/meta-description
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree that few search engines use keywords any more. However I have seen few websites that didn't incorporate them into their meta tags. If you chose to use keywords on your site you want to delineate them with a comma. As an example here are the keywords and how they are formatted on Lawnsite.

<meta name="keywords" content=" Meta-Tag Keywords, dixie chopper,exmark,toro,lawnsite,lawn care business,lawn mowing business,lawn business forum,aerator,commercial mowers,lawn mowing,shindaiwa,gator blades,irrigation,scag mowers,sulky,walk behind mowers,landscaping,lawn maintenance,walker mowers" />
Old 10-08-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Using your lawnsite keywords example, if you'd like to try a fun experiment, right click/copy and search that keyword string in your favorite engine.
dixie chopper,exmark,toro,lawnsite,lawn care business,lawn mowing business,lawn business forum,aerator,commercial mowers,lawn mowing,shindaiwa,gator blades,irrigation,scag mowers,sulky,walk behind mowers,landscaping,lawn maintenance,walker mowers
https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...Cwalker+mowers
Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't try it but I doubt that most of those would show up on the first 10 pages. There are two that a Google search should show very high. Still for the 5 minutes it takes to add keywords, why not!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They have NO potential benefit, and some (albeit small) risks. There are a thousand positive things you can do to improve your website and search presence- this is not one of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
I didn't try it but I doubt that most of those would show up on the first 10 pages. There are two that a Google search should show very high.
It was a demonstration that Google doesn't index them. The #1 result is my use of Lawnsite's keyword tag (via content, not the tag) in a 2012 post on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
Still for the 5 minutes it takes to add keywords, why not!
Because it's a waste of 5 minutes that can be better spent on something else? I guess I'll address it from a different angle than it just being a wheel-spinning time-waster.

From a beneficial-to-me standpoint, I like them. Takes 5 seconds to scrape the targeted keywords that my closest 50 potential competitors have on their own lawn care sites. It's a one-stop-shop for competitive intelligence. If your competitor has an SEO working for them, that's worth anything, it's in their mix of tools to beat you, too. It's just becoming less valuable because those that know what they're doing (likely the ones I want to pass in rank) don't make it that easy anymore. For those, we still have file names, TITLE and alt's.