Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2013, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Cuts by IRELAND

Hey guys. My name is Mike Ireland(23 yrs old) and I have been lurking around here for only a short time but looking into starting a lawn business for a about a year now. The reason I was able to browse for so long is I also work a full time job during the week. My wife and I are in the process of trying to have a baby and with how things are now a days I want my wife at home raising my kids! This being said I needed to find another way to make money, and eventually more money than wat I'm making now so she can stay home. There is always grass to cut and I plan on doing nothing going to the top of the landscaping market in my area. So I have been researching a lot and just fell in love with Badboy mowers but one thing I have noticed is A LOT of bad things were said about badboys customer service and a few other random small things that they never really had enough evidence in the thread to prove anything.
NOW TO THE POINT OF THIS THREAD!I finally bit the bullet and am going back to my mower shop to buy the package I settled on.
Package deal:
48" Badboy Outlaw stander with the 726cc Kawasaki FS motor
Echo PB-500 backpack blower
Echo PE-230 edger
Echo SRM-266T trimmer
Echo HC-165 hedge trimmer
Triple Crown 6x12 open trailer with ramp

All that with:
No money down
0% interest for 48months
No payments for 8 months(April)

Total: $9600

I will be calling myself Cuts by IRELAND because I've grown up in this area and my last name is an easy one to remember. I sat at my desk at the house and wrote down every lead that I thought I would have a chance with getting. Just strictly gonna hit family am friends first so I ended up writing down 76 names. Made some flyers and gonna go out early Tuesday morning and hit my leads with the flyers before I go and pick up my package!!! I'm so stoked guys and I would love to hear wat you think and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Any advice you have I am all ears! Thanks for all the info provided on lawnsite cuz I prolly wouldn't have been able to make a decision without it!!

-Cuts by IRELAND-
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

really....no thoughts on the price or the fact that im getting a badboy? that's really surprising lol

don't be afraid guys! im not afraid of constructive criticism

-Cuts by IRELAND-
Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

that's a huge debt with out any customers how will you pay for it.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I would have at least got some customers before I went in debt ten grand on equipment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I am going in to lawn care also stating this fall with fall clean up then spring 2014 full time I am a bit older then you my kids don't need as much from me and the wife all ready did the stay at home thing the biggest thing people on the lawn site and gopher haul say don't go in to debt until you can pay for it in full have you been to gopher haul a lot of info but I do like it here better
Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, as usual I will be the first person to be positive.... Good for you man! Sounds like you are passionate about starting a business and sure, who wouldn't like to be debt free? Fact is, that is just not possible for a lot of us in this day in age... Even going out and buying all used equipment would require a sizable down payment for most folks.... If you are willing to learn and educate yourself, and also willing to work really hard, you can pay off that 10 g's in no time.... The cool thing about equipment is that all of us have different preferences and like different things... I am a die hard Walker/Scag/Shindaiwa guy and nobody will ever convince me otherwise... Does that mean that those brands are the absolute best? Yes!(haha, just kidding) Of course not, to each their own is what I say... I also think it's prudent to wish someone good luck when they are starting a new venture... Oh, by the way, I LOVE the name! Good luck friend!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your taking a big step my getting the equipment but do you have any idea how to run a business? How to manage costs or customers? My advice would be to not take the package. Spend a couple grand if you have it and get a used Walkbehind for a grand, a small trailer for 500, a kombi unit with hedge trimmer and line trimmer for 400 and a small bower for around 200. You have the major stuff to mow lawns at almost 1/5 the cost. Also, you don't have the debt to stress you out. Can you still back out? You can also find some great deals this winter and prepare with a website, craigslist, and other marketing techniques to start off strong next year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Winter is the best time to buy used equipment. Over time I have picked up all stihl hand held only few months old such as br600, fs90, & etc, exmark WB 48" with 250 hours, enclosed trailer, ford f450 diesel dump 1995 but amazing condition, ex mark laser z 52" with 500 hours, and more misc equipment. Total investment little less than 5000 for everything. It takes time and dealing but my truck is worth more than I have in everything. Once again winter time cash purchases and taking time to built set up. Just a suggestion would be see what is out there used if you have some cash to lay out. It would save you a lot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Why post isn't to be negative but I have a lot of buddys that see how well I do and have run out quickly to buy a lot of new equipment on credit and many have got into trouble. Anyways it all goes to your business plan. I can't stress enough having a business plan written to at least 5 years. I went to college for landscape contracting but I even went to SCORE for help with mine. It is free and you can search for your local chapter. My landscaping company is my second company I have started. The other was a dot com in college. Both have made a lot of money but I contribute a lot of my success to well written bsuiness plans!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow....I was really hoping for a little more positive replies than one BUT I'll take it. I figured most of the comments would be about my big purchase and me going into debt.
So I should've told you that my insurance and package payments are so minimal that getting 6 yards at $60 will break me off even and since posting last night I got 3 accounts today!! And also remember that I don't even have to pay a package payment until April so all I have to worry about is insurance and gas/maintnence until then.
I ALSO have a full time job and my wife does too and will until she has the baby so who knows how long it will even take for her to get pregnant. So we can afford the payments with me mowing zero yards.
I'm only 23 and my wife is only 22 but trust me when I say we are way ahead of our time. We have set away a very nice safety cushion in case anything were to go really wrong.
Just went to staples and printed 100 postcards that I will put out to the rest of my leads Monday and Tuesday morning. I'm very confident in the fact that I can get 10-15 yards in a short amount of time because of y last name and my post cards look awesome! Haha
Anyone have any advertising secrets that they don't often see? Cuz I'm trying to think of a creative way to advertise that no one else has. Just another way to get recognized. For example....my original idea was to call myself Stealth Landscaping "we mow it before you know it" and I was gonna paint everything(truck, trailer, equipment) flat black.
BUT I got to thinking and painting very thing flat black is going to make it even hotter than it's already going to be so that was a no go.
Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device