Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Roller or diaphragm pump?

If you were buying a general purpose skid for turf applications what pump would you prefer, roller or diaphragm?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Diaphragm. Roller is cheaper, but not as durable. And roller is not suited for wettable powders, like pendimethalin. If you run a roller pump dry--it can be damaged by the heat. Roller pump is not self-priming.
Not sure--I think roller pumps must be installed at a level below the bottom of the tank.
As I recall, roller is not suited for Roundup due to corrosion of the iron--unless you elect for a more expensive metal.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always thought pendi is an EC rather than a WP?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is pendimethalin DF out there. Dimension is also sold as WP. A lot of what the warm season guys use is DF or liquid suspensions that are not clear. Anything that is not a clear liquid or a solvent based concentrate is abrasive. Riggle is right. RoundUp is not good in cast steel pump bodies. Brass, plastic or SS is better. So is the epoxy coated aluminum used for many diaphragm pump bodies.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. I was unaware of those formulations.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run 2 silver series hypro rollers on my skids. I get about 1.5 to 2 years out of each pump. I run gly, fert, wdg's and wp's. They don't really quit. They just start losing prime and decrease in output. I'm a warm season guy, so my yards see at least 3 blanket app. I would estimate that mine last about 30,000 gallons. I run 12v diaphragms on a small skid and my atv. They work good too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This also depends on what you use your spray units for. Mine also has to have extra pressure available for running hollow cone tips, fan nozzles and tree guns through a long length of 3/8" hose. A low pressure lawn gun at the end of 1/2" or larger hose is way easier on the pump. It is known that a roller pump operated at low pressure can last a really long time. I have never had a D30 diaphragm pump fail in the field, however, every Christmas, it gets diaphragms, o-rings and regulator parts replaced. I admit to being really hard on my pumping system.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post
I run 2 silver series hypro rollers on my skids. I get about 1.5 to 2 years out of each pump. I run gly, fert, wdg's and wp's. They don't really quit. They just start losing prime and decrease in output. I'm a warm season guy, so my yards see at least 3 blanket app. I would estimate that mine last about 30,000 gallons. I run 12v diaphragms on a small skid and my atv. They work good too.
Posted via Mobile Device
A Point of Economics.

While Diaphragm Pumps are more durable, they are also more EXPENSIVE. Roller Pumps have there place. The Silver Hypo Roller Pump is a throw away compared the D series pumps. But run the numbers, they can be a wise investment.

My 150 gallon Ride On Fire Ant sprayer needed a 25 GPM pump to deliver the volume I wanted to control Fire Ants. I only spray Insecticide so I don't even use the Silver series Roller pumps. I am talking $ 150 pump compared to the $ 3500.00 H 25 Hydra-cel PTO pump on my Cab over. BTW because of the inexpensive price, I geared the pump to run higher RPM to produce more volume. After two years I am starting to hear the Bearing wine. For $ 150 I should buy a new pump and have it ready to switch out. The Silver series 25 GPM model is close to $ 500.

Diaphragm Pumps produce more PSI and less GPM, while Roller pumps are limited on PSI but produce more GPM.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.