Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Dirt Boy's Avatar
Dirt Boy Dirt Boy is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 441
wiring in a pump start relay

Guys,
I'm in over my head I know, and most likely be enlisting an electrician, but how & where would a PSR be wired into this system?

Customer has a submersible, strictly for a hydrant & now sprinklers, 3 wire, 240 V, breaker is in the basement of house, aprox. 35' away. They have a switch on a post right by the well, to turn the pump on/off.
Want to be able to utilize it for the sprinklers, and turn on/off with the controller.
PSR - Krain 1522 24 v
- has 2 contacts for "IN" and 2 for "OUT"

So which of the wires, Red, Black, Yellow get hooked up ?
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
Guys,
I'm in over my head I know, and most likely be enlisting an electrician, but how & where would a PSR be wired into this system?

Customer has a submersible, strictly for a hydrant & now sprinklers, 3 wire, 240 V, breaker is in the basement of house, aprox. 35' away. They have a switch on a post right by the well, to turn the pump on/off.
Want to be able to utilize it for the sprinklers, and turn on/off with the controller.
PSR - Krain 1522 24 v
- has 2 contacts for "IN" and 2 for "OUT"

So which of the wires, Red, Black, Yellow get hooked up ?
http://www.lawnh2o.com/rainbird/PDF/Wiring-Manual.pdf

Look through this manual and come back if you need to
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,544
Isn't red-black-yellow typical of 3-wire pumps that employ a control box to operate?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Dirt Boy's Avatar
Dirt Boy Dirt Boy is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 441
Thanks Jim, good info, still don't make me comfortable, but good info.
Yes, boots, these are standard colors, to an electrician, I'm sure it's simple as pie.
Here's another site that I was looking at for wells in general that may be of interest, didn't see what I was looking for but still had good info.
http://greenroadfarm.com/wells.html
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:03 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
Thanks Jim, good info, still don't make me comfortable, but good info.
Yes, boots, these are standard colors, to an electrician, I'm sure it's simple as pie.
Here's another site that I was looking at for wells in general that may be of interest, didn't see what I was looking for but still had good info.
http://greenroadfarm.com/wells.html
http://www.deanbennett.com/testing-submersible-pump-motors.htm

http://www.deanbennett.com/testing-submersible-pump-control-box.htm
Posted via Mobile Device

I know that this isn't what you're asking for but both of these are very educational and may better explain your situation
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM
greenmonster304's Avatar
greenmonster304 greenmonster304 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: You Know
Posts: 2,376
I replaced a submersible pump on thursday that had the same color wires red and black wire line voltage and yellow was ground but check it yourself. PSRs are easy all you are doing is replacing your manual switch with an electrically operated one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,544
Thing is, a 3-wire pump is never directly connected to a pump relay. It connects to a control box, and it's the control box that connects to a pump relay, and so on back to your sprinkler controller.

If it's actually two power wires and a ground, then you have a two-wire pump. Easy enough to check with an ohmmeter.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM
greenmonster304's Avatar
greenmonster304 greenmonster304 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: You Know
Posts: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Thing is, a 3-wire pump is never directly connected to a pump relay. It connects to a control box, and it's the control box that connects to a pump relay, and so on back to your sprinkler controller.

If it's actually two power wires and a ground, then you have a two-wire pump. Easy enough to check with an ohmmeter.
The one pictured looks like a two wire because there are only 3 wires going "to the pump" the yellow does make it a bit confusing though.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Oh for the love of phase tape.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:01 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,833
[B]Electricity can fatally injure a person. Consult a licensed electrician if you are not familiar with working near electricity. Keep hands and spare tools away from live wires.[\B]

The OP may be well advised to employ an electrician and shadow him to learn the what's why's and how to's of working with line voltage controls.

The picture appears to be a 2 wire pump using black for ground to me but without seeing the switch its just a guess and I don't like guessing. Especially with line power.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.08248 seconds with 8 queries