Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My picture thread

Hey everyone, thought I'd post some photos of what I've been up to. I'll kinda catch up a little, some of the first few are from the last outfit I worked for.

I spent 2 years on this tunnel project, I started when I was halfway through my apprenticeship and journeyed out about 7 months before completion. When I started, we had just started digging the shaft. I was dispatched as an oiler/bellman for the Manitowoc 4100 in the pictures. That crane stayed at the TBM launch site for about 8 months, just long enough to get both TBM's launched and tunneling. I then followed that crane as it moved to our laydown yard where I spent about a year building truckloads of materials to keep the job running. Everything that job required, for the most part, came through the yard. I could start to explain the intricate details of tunneling but it would take me too long. Simply put, when things were wide open, it took myself and 4 other guys going 50 hours a week to keep things rolling up to the job. I got my CDL 2 months after I was moved to the yard and spent my fair share behind the wheel of our truck.

First picture is my crane setup as a Series III Ringer, 300 ton in this configuration. This crane would flat stick 118,000 pounds, no BS. Our biggest picks were right around 300,000 pounds, most were in the 100K range putting the TBM pieces into the shaft. It spent the majority of it's time at the yard setup as an SII crawler, 230 ton in that mobile configuration.

Second photo is the crane broken down leaving for the yard. Tracks eventually came off, carbody spins 90 degrees, lash it down and hit the road.

3rd and 4th photos are of the TBM trailing gear. About 400 feet in length per machine, everything needed to keep that machine pushing through the ground and building rings.
Attached Images

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Found a few more. These photos are courtesy of Sound Transit's webcam they had for the job. You can see one of them has my crane setup on crawlers, which it spent most of it's time with 160' of stick. Great crane, a real horse. I didn't spent as much time in the seat running that crane as I would have liked, but I can say I've run a friction Ringer, getting to be a rare setup these days
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The tunnel gig wrapped up earlier this year and I don't have many pictures of the job in its later stages as I was involved behind the scenes, as we liked to call it. In June, I was dispatched as a bellman for a local tower crane outfit here in Seattle. We provide crane operators (primarily tower crane but mobile as well), forklift operators, construction elevator operators, and bellman/riggers to outfits who prefer to sub out this work. This is probably the best job I've ever had and I'm pushing for my tower cert when I get time to go take the practical test. Having spent years in the dirt, dealing with everything that goes along with that racket, screamer bosses and lame co-workers, this gig is a breath of fresh air. I enjoy running a Motorola and chasing hook, it's a challenge to signal a crane into a tight spot in the blind and keep the crane moving without making a stop. Eventually I'd like a seat but the ground work is a riot anyhow, I just keep doing what's fun. The first job I was on for this outfit was a 350 freestanding tower. Eventually, the crane will jump and tie back to the building as it goes up. Total height at the end of the job will be 650 feet. It's a 2 man job to grease the sheaves at the tip of the jib, someone has to ride the basket out to the end of the jib to make it all happen. Needless to say I didn't hesitate to try that adrenaline rush, pretty cool deal.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like fun stuff! You'd never find me up that high though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Looks like fun stuff! You'd never find me up that high though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here. My tree stand gives me the creeps sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If someone told me to go up there, I would just look at them funny and tell em to F off.. Not happening, EVER. Still looks like a fun job other than that though.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh you guys are soft, ain't nothing to it. Riding the basket out to the end of the jib is no big deal, the rubber meets the road when you have to shimmy the last few few out of the basket through the jib to grease the tip sheave. Obviously 100% tied off, all about carefully placed steps and grab points.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is not to discount the heights at which you work, far be it, but it reminded of this video I saw recently, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, that's nuts. But, if the opportunity presented itself, I'd probably do it.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't mine heights. My dad works at a coop elevator. Top silos are 200ft . But watching that tower climb on YouTube.. That's up there. I hope the pay and life insurance is good. Neat pictures though of crane work.