Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

when to startSpring clean up and mulching

Hey guys new home owner from CT was wondering when is the best time to start spring clean ups and mulch projects. The weather here is not that great rainy and still cold 50 degrees sometimes at best some days the temp is 35 degrees. When is the best time to start these projects ? How early or late into the season do you start applying mulch ? and how many times a season do you tend to or reapply mulch ? Also when would be the best time to start dethatching the yard and possibly aerating. Can I start now or should I wait a few more weeks.

Thanks brian
Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

when to startSpring clean up and mulching

I live in the southern part of PA I started two weeks ago with spring clean ups. If you can stand the cold and it is descent out then go for it.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

How about mulching when do you start to put down mulch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would mulch right after trimming all the shrubs. Mulch should never exceed a depth of 4" and you should taper it so the closer you get to the trunk the thinner the mulch gets. Mulch should only be done once a year.
What's wrong with the lawn that you think you need to dethatch the lawn? If you think it need dethatched I would lightly take the lawn with a leaf rake.
Aerations should be done in the fall along with any seeding unless you have bare spots. Also aerating should only be done every 3-5 years.
If the weather is consistently nice now would be the time to clean the beds of leafs and cut the lawn .5" shorter than your last cut last year depending on the current height. This will cut out the brown tips and give the lawn a greener look.
Last hint. If you have any flowering shrubs or trees they should be trimmed within a month of blooming. Also most people never consider fertilizing shrubs but this is something that should be done once a year. Get a slow release fertilizer that lasts for 8 months- can't remember the name but all garden centers should carry something along that long lasting.
Posted via Mobile Device