Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this seems like a relatively straight forward project. yes it will be invasive to the landscape and the system, but something that can be worked out pretty easily. make sure you size the new main large enough to allow multiple zones running at once. markout all the mains and VB's and make some copies. then start drawing the new main and note all of the road blocks. it may take a few sketches to come up with a workable pipeline path.
i wouldnt worry too much about hitting pipes and wire. try to minimize the damage, and make sure you either pad enough in the estimate to cover repairs or write in that repairs will be handled on a TM basis.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Major Mod

The water meters are in the basements. Each double circle on the
Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Without A Drought; the water meters are in the basements. Each double circle on the drawing represents a back flow and is approximate where the water meter is in the basement. My plan is to have the HOA build a small building to house the tap onto the water main from there and distribute it to the VBs.

jbell36; It's not so much a nightmare as it is a lot of work and it is my job to find the best, yet cheapest way to accomplish this. I also have to split a super zone (a back flow preventer) with six zones into 12 zones(Yea, the one with the pump). That's going to be tricky too. Each unit does not have a meter. 1 meter serves 3 units and there is the problem the HOA is picking up the cost of irrigation as part of the upkeep, but the problem is they have to split the bill every month and the bill for three units irrigation is very substantial, hence the request to split the irrigation off from the residents bill.

djagusch; I have had this system for going on three years now, and no, I had never seen one like this. Had I designed it, it would have been 1 BF per unit and on that units water bill OR a separate building to house irrigation meters, etc. But it was designed with the three per BF and to correct it, we have to go back and start a from scratch.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra9093 View Post
to correct it, we have to go back and start a from scratch.
Worse, first you have to find scratch. Find the service line, it will dictate the degree of difficulty I'm sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a thought. The main line for the systems tee off in the basement? Why couldn't some type of metering device be installed to measure the irrigation water only. It would be a little more figuring for someone but far less costly & complex.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Worse, first you have to find scratch. Find the service line, it will dictate the degree of difficulty I'm sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Technically, we have 5 service lines for 5 different basements (plus the super zone that has to be split).

ArTurf; The lines are already split ("T'ed) in the basements. People don't want them in their basements. They don't like being bothered twice a year to start and stop their systems, and they hate those huge water bills that have to be split off every month during the season.

Question: Is there anybody out there did a condo system, one with an out building and/or another, without and out building? This is in a very cold Mid-Western climate with frigid Winters. If so, what was your favorite design for both?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This really is a job for separate irrigation meters. No other solution even comes remotely close to making economical sense.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup, I agree and the HOA agrees. The problems are where to put it (up to the HOA) and the best way to get supply lines to it (mine). In tooling around this web site, one solution that is percolating is to run two main supply lines down the front yards of the properties (VBs are in the front) cut the lines going to the basements. Draw lines from the VBs to the supply trunk. Each supply trunk will be supplying about 35-40 zones, 1 1/2 inch minimum, should be able to fire 2-3 zones at once. Leave the controllers WHERE THEY ARE. They are exterior type and no bother to residents, would not want to open that barrel of monkeys unless I have to (do I have to?) Without A Drought says that tearing up the yard i.e., underlying infrastructure is a given, will just have to bill for it. Like the option of billing for that as I go. This is definitely subcontractor territory.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra9093 View Post
Leave the controllers WHERE THEY ARE. They are exterior type and no bother to residents, would not want to open that barrel of monkeys unless I have to (do I have to?)
You are already opening a barrel of monkeys laying new mains. Not that big a deal to run new wire with the new main and get the entire site on central control.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where to put the meters is simple. In the existing basement plumbing that feeds the existing irrigation. Anywhere else is burning money.

There is no "private property" argument. The purveyor owns the meters and has a proprietary interest in any and all upstream plumbing leading to them, without the actual maintenance costs connected to absolute ownership.