Register free!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm talking about the little extension office pages that are put out for mass consumption... there is so much mythology that has become 'common knowledge' how about simple statements about wasting N in early Spring and mid-Summer,,, especially on over-irrigated sand...

I don't expect h.o.s to 'research' Uni. papers, but lcos should have a better handle on this so h.o.s get a consistent story... If an extension office condemns certain time of year applications ,THAT,, might get people to thinking...
Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I was a professor and wrote extension bulletins, our department followed the mantra "never say never, never say always." I know that you don't like spring applied N, but there can certainly be some circumstances when N may need to be applied in the spring. You won't see extension offices issuing statements condemning those spring apps. But, you will see publications urging against improper practices, like fertilizing frozen ground, applying fert to water, and applying fert to impervious surfaces.

Not everything worthy of mention can be included in extension publications. But, there are ways that professionals can update their education and learn more about these practices. Attending state turf association education meetings would be a great place to start.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
When I was a professor and wrote extension bulletins, our department followed the mantra "never say never, never say always." I know that you don't like spring applied N, but there can certainly be some circumstances when N may need to be applied in the spring. You won't see extension offices issuing statements condemning those spring apps. But, you will see publications urging against improper practices, like fertilizing frozen ground, applying fert to water, and applying fert to impervious surfaces.

Not everything worthy of mention can be included in extension publications. But, there are ways that professionals can update their education and learn more about these practices. Attending state turf association education meetings would be a great place to start.
I understand the never say never/always, but in cool-season turf, not agriculture, but turf,, I can't think of one reason to apply N to awakening grass of early Spring... You don't have to even say never, becuz when you think of that one reason THEN,,, you can list the 'exception'... Otherwise the term 'never' works quite well...

I'm not afraid to say never, becuz when an exception comes along it will have to PROVE itself as a realistic and legitimate exception... then I can rephrase to 'almost never'...
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuakwhit View Post
Uh, so how do I find people that know what works or teach what to look for to tell if something is working. Is there any real world working solutions to say "this works".
Posted via Mobile Device
In addition to Skipster and phatshound, look for posts from Rick13 from Rockford, IL for info on doing things well organically in the field.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For Professionals, transitioning to so-called Organics,,, a Bridge Program is the only way to go... Business,,, is the first priority of a Professional and jumping blindly into Organics 100% guarantees loss of business...

Even the "religious green nutcases", don't do Organics for themselves,,, becuz they pay good money to have the best lawn in the neighborhood... Soil structure first...
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
For Professionals, transitioning to so-called Organics,,, a Bridge Program is the only way to go... Business,,, is the first priority of a Professional and jumping blindly into Organics 100% guarantees loss of business...

Even the "religious green nutcases", don't do Organics for themselves,,, becuz they pay good money to have the best lawn in the neighborhood... Soil structure first...
A bridge program is one way to go. I strongly endorse it. Jumping blindly into anything is foolish in business and in life. I strongly advise against it.

"Religious green nutcases", I strongly advise against categorizing people who have different opinions than your own.

Addressing soil structure and soil health is the foundation of an organic turf care system. Conventional programs hardly address soil structure.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
A bridge program is one way to go. I strongly endorse it. Jumping blindly into anything is foolish in business and in life. I strongly advise against it.

"Religious green nutcases", I strongly advise against categorizing people who have different opinions than your own.

Addressing soil structure and soil health is the foundation of an organic turf care system. Conventional programs hardly address soil structure.
Even religious green nutcases is what I said... what does the word 'even' mean??? Did you think I was referring to you??? guess what...

I'm talking about business and if there is a way other than bridge program that will succeed as a business model,,, then speak... otherwise a bridge program continues to be the only way to go...

Why don't you give an example how organics does soil structure...
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Even religious green nutcases is what I said... what does the word 'even' mean??? Did you think I was referring to you??? guess what...
You sure know how to jump to conclusions.

I'm talking about business and if there is a way other than bridge program that will succeed as a business model,,, then speak... otherwise a bridge program continues to be the only way to go...
In your opinion.

Why don't you give an example how organics does soil structure...
How many more examples do you need? This has been discussed in detail many times. Why don't you explain why you think organics don't "does soil structure"?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-11-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

before we get into asking organic do work or not.

is there just one organic labeling? or more like natural organic, synthetic organic, etc.?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i was told today, there are:
natural organic
natural inorganic
synthetic organic
synthetic inorganic

any thoughts about this?
thx