Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

groomer, that is not the point... the point is knowing what is going on with the trees rather than waiting for them to die, in order to see that the burlap did not decay and the particular tree could not deal with it...

Not all trees left in burlap will do as well no matter how well your trees are doing...
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I have planted countless trees and have not removed the wire or burlap. Something to keep in mind though is you need to know what type of burlap you have. Some is treated and will not rot away for a much longer period of time and some is not treated. The untreated will rot just fine and also help hold the root ball together when planting it. If it is treated then when the tree is in the hole cut as much away as possible if not all making sure you don't damage the root ball. Try to just use untreated burlap. It is good to remove the wire basket if you can without damaging the plant but not a must.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All this talk about 'treated' burlap makes me wonder,,, who would purchase and use treated burlap for B&B purposes???
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

It works well for nurseries that buy several from a tree farm and then have them for sale for a while. With the treated they don't have to worry about the ball coming apart as easily on stock they have had for a while where with the untreated it won't take very long and the burlap wil be rotting off before they sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device